Mum having problems setting up Netgear DG834G

Reaction score
Hi all,

I spent hours on the phone to my mum (who's 200 miles away) last night trying to help her set up her new Netgear DG834G, which she's got as a replacement for the Speedtouch USB modem that we've discovered doesn't work with Tiger on her eMac.

Mum's not good on computers and I can't see what she's trying to do and although it should be easy enough, we can't get past a certain point.

We've accessed the router, used the setup wizard and filled in all the settings (hopefully) correctly, but when we get to the point where we have to Cancel, Apply or Test, clicking on Apply or Test brings up an authentication window in Firefox that asks for a username and password. We've tried putting in the router login details (admin/password) and mum's ISP login details, but the window keeps popping up whatever she does and we don't get any internet access.

Without seeing what she's seeing and with no documentation explaining what the steps should be (although I have downloaded the router's manual) I can't tell what the problem is. I know I'd be able to sort it out if I was there.

With this limited information, could anyone offer any help or suggestions?

I'm not worried about setting it up for wireless just yet - I just want to get mum a decent broadband connection for starters!

Thanks very much.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

What colour are the lights on the front of the modem ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm pretty sure everything was green. Mum's very good at telling me when lights are flashing or changing colour because she panics! We went through them when we first connected it up and it was definitely all okay then.

I'm wondering if we should have gone down the fully automatic route... We chose the Manual setting in the eMac's TCP/IP settings (and filled in the fields appropriately) but maybe we should just do DHCP. We initially didn't choose the setup wizard for the modem because I didn't think it would work properly with a mac setup but when the first authentication popup came up we ended up back there anyway.

It's very frustrating because I know I could sort it if I was there with her because I could try different options a lot more quickly. It takes a very long time to explain to her what you need her to do and that affects what you're willing to try over the phone!

Thanks for any help...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

don't worry I have been there a million times, it can be very hard work !

I have all my family on a remote access so that I can 'take control' !!

Presumably, the Netgear was 192.168.0.x where x is one number for the Etherenet port and a different number for the Wireless Network...

So the Mac would need to be 192.168.0.any number except the two from above...as long as there is nothing else on the network.

The NetMask on the Mac would be 255.255.255.0

The DNS and the Router/Gateway on the Mac would need to be the 192.168.x number

The chances are that if all the lights are green, and no flashing amber, then the Modem is connected to the Internet OK.

If you are worried that the TCP/IP settings that you have entered are incorrect then turn DHCP back on, on the Mac.

Tell her to open her browser and type 64.233.167.104 into the address bar and then press return. If this brings up the Google page then it just means that the DNS settings are incorrect which is easy to fix.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ric.

I'm pretty sure the settings we've put in are fine (IP addresses, DNS servers etc) - the only things I'm not sure about are the things we're choosing in the modem setup. Would you say that settings for the modem can be left to their defaults? I have more advanced settings from the ISP (Orange - grrrrr) to put in, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or the right thing to do.

I think we might just turn everything off tonight and start again with DHCP enabled... It's got to be something simple that I'm just not seeing because I'm not there.

I'm hoping to get some remote access set up once mum's got a solid broadband connection working - it hasn't really been possible up until now.
Can I ask what you use? Do I have to buy Apple Remote Access or is there a free (or at least cheap) alternative? And will it be tricky to set up? I figure it'll be easier to do when visiting mum!

Thanks again.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is Orange the old Wanadoo service ?

If it is I think I may know someone on it and I'll be able to check their settings, they also have the DG834G...I can possibly send some screen grabs, but not till 9pm ish GMT.

Personaly I would leave DHCP off, if you are happy and use the manual address's. It will make it easier if you are going to do remote access at a later date.

I use alsorts of different software, mainly Apple Remote Desktop, Timbuktu and a few of the free VNC clients such as Chicken of the VNC.

Let us know when you're nearer the time and we'll talk you through how to set it up, your Mum's Mac already has the remote bit built in, it just needs turning on and you will then need to configure afew things and get 'Chicken...'

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Yep - it was previously Wanadoo. We've been happily blaming them for the very poor, intermittent net access that mum's had, until we found out about the supplied USB modems incompatibility with Tiger. (Although I do think it wasn't that great before I upgraded her system...but anyway...)

Thanks, but don't worry about the screen grabs for now. Mum knows someone who's happily using the same modem on a new iMac (which is how we found out that it will work) so it might just be easier to get mum to invite her round and let the pair of them sort it out between them...!

We'll get there eventually, I was just wondering if there was anything obvious to look into at this stage.

Thanks again for your help - I'll be in touch when it comes to sorting the remote access!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem, let us know how she gets on.

Once she is up and running I would suggest that you turn off the Wireless network if it's not being used, I can't remember whether it has security on by default ? If not then it would be an open network that anyone could use...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Morning Ric,

Just to let you know that we got mum's connection sorted last night. Yay!

I got her to reset the modem and turn DHCP back on, we ran through the setup wizard again and that pretty much sorted it. I think we just got too tied up with the more advanced settings last night.

When I next visit I'll try entering the TCP/IP settings manually so we'll be ready for getting remote access up and running. For now, she's just chuffed with having a decent connection that she doesn't have to dial into!

Thanks again for your help.

S.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm glad she's got it up and running, next time I have access to a Netgear834G I'll do a couple of screengrabs...these will show you what to do for the remote access bit.

It's a bit techy, involves something called 'port forwarding' but once it's set up, you can then speak to your Mum on the phone and if she needs help she then just has to click one button, and give your her IP address (which is easy for you to show her) then you will be able to remote access...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question