Quark Express Minimum Requirements

Reaction score
Hi All,

Perhaps someone can help me? I want to buy an Apple Mac suitable for running Quark Express and Photoshop. I am only really after a cheap example, but obviously I want to make sure that what I buy is suitable. Could you please advise me on the minimum requirements the Mac would need to have? I am looking to use Quark Express version 6.0.

I would be greatful for any advice you could offer, I am a bit of a novice with Mac's.

Many Thanks
Ian Barber

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ian and welcome,

Are you after a 'new' Mac or second hand ?

Do you already have Quark and Photoshop /

regards

Ric

Reaction score
From Quark website:
"Mac OS
Software
Mac OS X v10.3 or later
Hardware
CD-ROM drive for installation
Minimum 128MB total RAM
230MB available hard disk space for QuarkXPress installation
TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)"

I am however intrigued. Do you already have Mac licences for QXP and Photoshop as Ric asks? I ask because, IMHO, if these are to be new purchases, unless you have an absolute need for Quark, it makes more economic sense to go with the Adobe studio and make the switch to InDesign.
Back on subject I regularly use Quark 6 on an old eMac and although it is VERY slow it will handle both Quark and Photoshop CS so any more recent refurb iMac would be an economic choice.

Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses.

I do not have a Mac at present and ideally would want to get one second hand. It is going to be a Christmas present for my girlfriend. She did design at Uni and is looking to get back into it. I know that she has used Quark Express and Photo Shop before so basically just want something to get her started. I would rather stick to these 2 if possible because I know she can use them.

To use Version 6 on an IMAC what sort of processor will I need, as I say, I am a complete novice so any advise you can offer will be welcomed!!!

Ric

Reaction score
...if you do need to buy, then it's worth befriending a student...unless you are one !

Adobe CS2 Premium £180 for students, regular price £1000, well just short !

Worth signing up to an evening class to get a Student card ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
We run Quark 6 on a variety of Macs at my office from 700 MHz G4 eMacs to 2.3GHz dual G5s. We also run the entire Adobe CS2 package on the G5s. The other 5 Macs run Photoshop 7. We've bumped RAM up on all the machines at least 768, with most of them having 1GB of RAM. We retired the last of our G3s almost 2 years ago as they were seriously lagging in terms of performance. We publish 3 publications a month, and create/modify somewhere around 800 ads each month, and output an average of 550 tabloid-sized (11x17) pages per month. So, whili Quark says it will run on a G3 (and it will) it's far from ideal. I'd recommend at least a G4 of some variety, (iMac, eMac or tower). I found this site to be helpful with specs on older Macs... http://www.lowendmac.com some interesting history bits there too...

Ask a Question