Mouse acting funny

Reaction score
Hello. I bought a new iMac a few weeks ago. It came with a Magic Mouse. It does not respond very well. And moves erratically. It acts like when a real old mouse used to get 'dirty.' I remember taking a mouse apart and cleaning the little rubber ball that rolled. That stopped it from moving erratically. Is there anything I can do to make this magic mouse work? Or do I need to get another one?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Is this a brand new iMac, or new to you?
-Which exact model iMac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Have you checked the batteries/charge?
-Do you have a USB mouse you could connect, to enable you to remove it from Bluetooth and re-pair it?

C

Reaction score
Thanks, but Duh, I am so tech deficient. It was the mouse pad. Since the magic mouse works on light.

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. Bought a new mouse pad and still goofy. Old on really worn so I needed a new one anyway.It's an iMac OS Catalina 10.15.5. What I did notice was the little g;lass 'eye' on the bottom of the mouse is not centered in the opening.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries....mousepads with photos or intricate patterns can affect the Magic Mouse. It is designed to be used on a flat hard surface, without a mousepad.

My Magic Mice all have the optical sensor tilted a bit and not perfectly centered - they all are similar, so that is probably the design.

C

Ask a Question