Most up to date OS this mac can support? (see spec)

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise me what is the most up to date Mac OS I can upgrade to
on my (now old) mac mini,

it currently has the following spec

OS X El Capitan
Mac mini (late 2014)
Processor 2.8 GHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

This computer has been working very well for years offline
as a sound recording setup using Logic
with no real need to go online.

If you can let me know if it can be used safely online (in spite of being very old) that also would be great.

Thanks T

Reaction score
Thanks very much for this info
The only caveat is if you still have 32-bit apps that you need to work with, they will not run in Monterey. You still have the option of installing the newest version of macOS to run those apps, Mojave. You can create a partition on your drive, if you can afford the space, to install macOS 10.14 Mojave. It will be very easy to add volumes if your drive is formatted APFS. Otherwise, you can also consider installing Mojave on an external drive.

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise me what is the most up to date Mac OS I can upgrade to
on my (now old) mac mini,

it currently has the following spec

OS X El Capitan
Mac mini (late 2014)
Processor 2.8 GHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

This computer has been working very well for years offline
as a sound recording setup using Logic
with no real need to go online.

If you can let me know if it can be used safely online (in spite of being very old) that also would be great.

Thanks T
One way to to determine the latest OS for your computer is to boot into recovery mode and choose to install Mac OS. In High Sierra, you are offered a choice of the original OS that was installed on the computer or the latest OS that it can run. I assume it is similar in El Capitan.

There is no reason your computer won't work on the Internet. I am using a mid-2012 Mac mini and High Sierra.

Ask a Question