Mac OS Update has stopped me accessing Youtube content

Reaction score
I've just updated to Mac OS Monterrey 12.5, and it's put EVERY Chrome profile into Restricted mode, and you cannot turn it off.

I've tried removing profiles, clearing cache, all sorts.

What I have also noticed however is that I cannot change things like Safe Search, because of the following:

"You don't have permission to change your SafeSearch setting. It's locked by the device or network that you are browsing on"

Likewise Restricted mode on Youtube says:

"Turned on by your network administrator to help hide potentially mature videos"

Can anybody help explain what the hell happened here? It's my own Laptop running on my own Network, and it was all perfectly fine until I did this OS update.

Reaction score
Just checked and my Android phone is still unrestricted on YouTube, so this is specific to my MacBook.

I've tried hotspotting via my phone, and was still stuck on restricted, so it isn't going to be my ISP.

Looks like Monterrey has set some kind of restriction on my device?

Reaction score
The password access to your administrator privileges for some reason starts at its strictest in the Monterrey update. Go to your security preferences pane and click the lock… put in your password and then click advanced. Uncheck the box next to “require administrator password across all platforms” (or something to that effect)… you’ll still need to use it for more critical changes and access preferences but not as much. You can’t take off the password option in your administrator profile

Ask a Question