How I can find "failed of MacOS update" files and delete it?

Reaction score
Hello Mac-help Community

I Need your help really

I try hard to upgrade my MBP 15" (mid-2015) from Mojave to Monterey (because this the last OS that I can upgrade), but my net is not that good, its hard to download the update files, the files is so big (12.4GB), so many times is failed and keep failed.

Then I notice, My HD start become full by itself, its only 256GB. I realize this because of the failed update files that keep increase my HD capacity. I check on storage information, there is 150GB "weird files" on System.

So my answer is,
How can I find it, the failed MacOS update files on this Mojave system, on easy way?
Then How can I deleted it permanently?
Are there is the easy way to upgrade my MacOS beside using this way from system preference and do software update? I feel I don't have any chance to success because of my internet connection.

Best regard and thanks for the answer and respond

Wick022

Reaction score
Hello Mac-help Community

I Need your help really

I try hard to upgrade my MBP 15" (mid-2015) from Mojave to Monterey (because this the last OS that I can upgrade), but my net is not that good, its hard to download the update files, the files is so big (12.4GB), so many times is failed and keep failed.

Then I notice, My HD start become full by itself, its only 256GB. I realize this because of the failed update files that keep increase my HD capacity. I check on storage information, there is 150GB "weird files" on System.

So my answer is,
How can I find it, the failed MacOS update files on this Mojave system, on easy way?
Then How can I deleted it permanently?
Are there is the easy way to upgrade my MacOS beside using this way from system preference and do software update? I feel I don't have any chance to success because of my internet connection.

Best regard and thanks for the answer and respond

Wick022
It’s highly probable that the reason for the failure was the lack of available space on your drive. Do you have a Time Machine backup of your system? In addition, a great help is to have a clone of your drive (Carbon Copy Cloner my first choice). These will off course go on external drives.

Once you have the backup and, if possible, the clone, you can boot into Recovery (restart and hold down ⌘-R), erase the internal drive, formatted as APFS with Disk Utility, and then reinstall macOS. From what you stated, Recovery should default to installing the newest version of macOS that your Mac will allow. macOS Monterey sounds about right.

Afterwards, the installer will ask for the Migration source. Select the clone, or the Time Machine drive, to complete the installation.

I really think that, even for a casual user, 256 GB of main storage is very small. You should maintain external drives, preferably SSDs, to store larger, non-system-related data, so you can maintain a decent amount of free space in your main drive.

Ask a Question