USB Disk Missing from Finder - M1 MacBook Pro/Ventura

Reaction score
I have had a curious glitch since upgrading my M1 MacBook Pro to Ventura. I use a 1TB USB drive for Carbon Copy Cloner backups. It no longer shows up in the Finder although the backups run as normal. It does show up in Disk Utility and when I select "Show in Finder" in Disk Utility it opens a new Finder window with the drive showing. But when I close that window it doesn't show in any other Finder window. It's an irritation rather than disaster but I would like to sort it out. I have looked in all the usual Mac Forums but haven't seen anyone else having this issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe check Finder > Preferences... > General and Sidebar and make sure External Disks is checked?

C

Reaction score
I have had a curious glitch since upgrading my M1 MacBook Pro to Ventura. I use a 1TB USB drive for Carbon Copy Cloner backups. It no longer shows up in the Finder although the backups run as normal. It does show up in Disk Utility and when I select "Show in Finder" in Disk Utility it opens a new Finder window with the drive showing. But when I close that window it doesn't show in any other Finder window. It's an irritation rather than disaster but I would like to sort it out. I have looked in all the usual Mac Forums but haven't seen anyone else having this issue.
Is this an SSD or USB flash drive? Your backups can be very important to you and USB flash drives nowadays, 1 terabyte, cost about $20 apiece. I would invest first in a new one, and then create a new CCC backup before reformatting the old one. Chances are, after reformatting, the old USB drive will be “normal” again, but I would not take a chance that it will be, without a second copy.

There’s a reason why I maintain two hard drives, connected by Thunderbolt 3, for Time Machine. They backup alternately every hour or so, and once either one shows “weird” behavior, I quickly reformat that drive knowing that I still have a good TM backup in place. The same goes true for CCC backups. As long as I know the original volume (or folder) is good, once the CCC backup becomes suspect, I immediately reformat it and then run a fresh CCC clone.

Reaction score
I back up 3 ways. Time machine on a network attached RAID when I'm at home, plus cc cloner to a portable hard drive that I can take when I travel and Crash Plan in the cloud. I am fairly confident that my data is as secure as I can make it. The thing with the portable drive is mostly an oddity. CCC sees it fine and my backups are all present and correct. It just doesnt show in the finder except when linked from Disk Utility. The obvious thing to do is to check whether any other USB drive would show up. Pity I only just had that thought as I'm on a train heading off on a trip and I'm travelling very light. I'll check it when I'm back on Friday.

Reaction score
I have MBP M1 and Ventura. I have a usb hub with 6 x1Tb SSDs. One of them consistently doesn't show in Finder, but if I take it out the hub and plug it directly into the MBP, it shows up.
(I have converters on the cables as it's all USB C now, so maybe something to do with that.)
I just upgraded to Ventura and thought it was a glitch due to that.
(And don't get me started on Photoshop/Lightroom problems, that I'm not sure to blame Apple or Adobe for!)

Reaction score
Yes, I am also having issues with the conversion from USB A to C. I have a 4 port A to C adapter and when I plug into that CCC tells me that my backup will be very slow. When I use an in-line adapter I don't seem to have that issue. I am also finding since Ventura that Disk Utility may or may not see my network attached drive depending on exactly where in the network it is plugged in. Right now it is plugged in to one of my mesh units and it seems fine but when I plugged it in to the master modem/router it disappeared.

Ask a Question