usb clean install Sierra on used MacBook Pro with mountain lion disk image

Reaction score
I downloaded a fresh bootable usb with Sierra. Put a new ssd in and tried to install,Stops with 6 sec left in the install and I get some sort of certificate warning, When I open disk utility with the new ssd its there.. macOS X along with a few other things like my new ssd and the usb stick but when I open disk utility with the old data drive its not there.(the macOS X that it came with when new) .My question is, does the original image stop the install I've tried twice and stops within secs of installing, is there anyway around this or can it be something else stopping it?I could install the original OS but I would need the original owners email and password but I don't think thats gonna happen.thank you very much in advance
P.S I'm fairly new to Mac

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That install issue can happen for several reasons. A few questions for you to help narrow it down.

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-Where did you get the copy of macOS Sierra?
-Did you install the SSD yourself?
-Did you format the SSD before attempting the install?
-How did you create the USB installer?
-Does it give any error message?
-Do you have Apple or third-party RAM in the MBP?

C

Reaction score
its an early 2011 13 inch 2.3 GHz core 5.
the copy of Mac OS Sierra came from my iMac mid 2010 used and from my mbp,both failed
I installed the ssd myself
yes I formatted the ssd,even though
it was brand new
I created the installer following instructions from Macworld
there are no error messages just "temporarily unavailable"
yes I upgraded to 8GB 1600 MHz,i do have the original 2-2GB ram

since then I have managed to get it to the install screen but since its used I assume my Apple ID will not work because of the "temporary unavailable" message
I am new to Mac and I only know some basics, hope you can help and I do appreciate this very much.
I live in a small town and we do have an apple re-seller.im thinking about taking it to them.i was told by a friend of mine that I will have to buy a disk copy of Mac OS X.
I will wait for your advice.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

The first thing I would try would be to install the original Apple RAM and try the install again. You should only get the Apple ID prompt if you are started up from the Internet Recovery partition, instead of the installer you made with the instructions from Macworld.

C

Reaction score
I dont have to buy a physical copy of OS X? what about cloning my sata? Do I have to buy the rights to use Sierra or any other OS?
I will try changing the ram back and give that a try,'ll let you know if it worked after work, again thank you.

Reaction score
oh I forgot to asked I do an internet recovery or don't use the internet at all, turn off wifi?im assuming you meant not to use the internet.

Ask a Question