Tried to create a bootable USB drive on Mac, Disk Utility messed up and my flash drive won't show up

Reaction score
So I am trying to create a bootable install of Yosemite because a lot of my programs are not compatible with El Capitan and I tried following these steps with my USB drive: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-clean-install-os-x-yosemite-via-bootable-usb-flash-drive-1470625[1]

I did these two steps:

"Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the format box and let the name be Untitled (default). Now click on Erase button and wait until the format process completes."

And after I did those steps I tried to partition the drive however I got an error message, unfortunately I cannot recall what it said but from that point on my USB drive is not being recognized by any aspect of my Mac. It is not showing up on Disk Utilities, or the Finder, or my desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What brand/model/size is the USB flash drive?
-Have you tried the flash drive in another computer to see if it s the Mac or the drive?

C

Ask a Question