MacBook Pro Sudden Problems, Slow Bootup, Tried Recover Disc

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8. (Old, I know, but it works for me.)

All was working well, then I shut down for a while. When I shut down, Firefox and Acrobat seemed to hang, but everything else was fine. Then, I restarted two hour later. It took about 8 minutes to startup. Each phase of the start-up process was extremely slow, each screen that normally appears for a few seconds, showed for minutes. When it got to my normal desktop, it took another 3 minutes to be able to open or move any icons/windows.

I restarted several times, zapped PRAM, and was able to work, but clearly something is wrong. Bluetooth is also just gone from my system preferences. My mouse gets jumpy at times and my keyboard seems slow.

We tried inserting and running the recovery disc, but it hangs. This suggests a hardware malfunction?

I'm all backed up, but I'd like to bring this computer back into working order.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-K

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It is possible that your hard drive is failing, as that can cause issues like you described. Do you have an Apple Store near you? They can run a full hardware diagnostic for you .

C

Ask a Question