Tried putting my font library in dropbox. Need help reverting.

Reaction score
So, I am updating my system and trying to get with the times and use dropbox for most of my files. I thought putting my fonts would be easy and followed this tutorial:

1. Go to your home folder in Finder.
  2. Copy your Library/Fonts folder inside your home folder into your Dropbox folder. Be sure it all copied before moving on.
  3. Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities. Don’t worry. This won’t be hard.
  4. Type sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Fonts and press enter. It will ask you for a password, type the password you use to login to your Mac.
  5. Type ln -s ~/Dropbox/Fonts ~/Library/Fonts and you’re done!
Well, it didn't work for me and I'd like to revert it. I'm not familiar with terminal commands and don't want to really mess anything else up. Could someone please help me diret it back to my internal Library/Fonts folder?

Reaction score
Dropbox is far from getting with the time, in fact it can be a pia.

1. Open your Library
2. Copy the fonts from the Dropbox to your Library
3. Restart and see if those fonts are there???

line 5 of the above instructions is broken.
Never type commands in Terminal unless you know exactly what they do.

Reaction score
Hi,

I second Kavemans hints.

And ladylisak just for info,

Remember you have folders containing fonts in a few places, so you may not have moved them all to dropbox.
1) User / ~/Library/Fonts/...........( Fonts installed here are not available to all users of the computer.)

2) Local /Library/Fonts/..............( This is the recommended location for fonts that are shared among applications.)

3) Network/Network/Library/Fonts/.....( The Network folder is for fonts shared among all users of a local area network. This feature is normally used on network file servers, under the control of a network administrator.)

4) System /System/Library/Fonts/..........( Fonts in this folder are for system use and displays. They should not be manually altered or removed.)

5) Classic /System Folder/Fonts/.......( This folder contains fonts used by the Classic environment (Mac OS X v10.4, but Mac OS X applications can use these fonts, even when the Classic environment is not active.)

Ask a Question