Help - Mac is running version 10.9.5 - is there any way to update it?

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I find myself without my usual work Mac. My old Mac works fine for most things but for others i bviously need a later OS. When i click on Software Upgrades is states ''none available''.

Am i stuck with 10.9.5, or is there ANY way to update it??? I also cant tell how old the Mac is as it doesnt give me Model number in About My Mac, only a serial number...

Can ANYONE help?

Thanks

Dan

Reaction score
Its a Mid 2013 MacBook Air 11'' ive just discovered - if that helps?

Thanks
In the About This Mac window, click on System Report to bring up details about your Mac.

Your model should be able to run macOS 11 Big Sur. If Software Update in System Preferences is non-responsive, first try shutting down and restarting while holding down the Shift key to boot into Safe Mode (my preferred state for macOS updating). If this still fails, boot into Recovery by restarting and immediately holding down command-R until Recovery comes up. Look for the choice for installing macOS. Recovery requires an internet connection.

Other than that, the only other way I can think of is to download the installer file directly from Apple.

Read the instructions before downloading the file.

Reaction score
Thank you - super helpful mate!
I've found the Updates, my NEW problem is it will not recognise my Apple ID password on the Mac. I've reset it but it wont accept it. so annoying............no idea why?????

Reaction score
When i try its sending a Verification request to my Phone - i hit accept - it provides a 6 digit code but NO WHERE to type the code on the Mac screen??

Reaction score
When i try its sending a Verification request to my Phone - i hit accept - it provides a 6 digit code but NO WHERE to type the code on the Mac screen??
Your Mac is supposed to open a window where you enter the 6-digit code. Maybe something is wrong with the window manager. Try entering the six digits blindly. If I recall right, there is no need to hit return.

You can also try resetting your Apple ID passcode directly from your phone, not involving the Mac. Make sense?

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry for the delay, ive been away. THANKS so much for the help!!!!
OK ive managed to Download Catalina and Big Sur. HOWEVER, when i go to install it jus seems to hang - as per Screenshot. Obviously i click ''install'' but nothing happens.?? Any ideas, ive tried Restarting etc, and same issues with both Big Sure and Catalina?
Also, storage wise, we have 500GB and it states 469GB available so seems to be plenty of space - see screenshot:

ANY ideas please??????

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 16.27.10.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 16.27.10.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 16.29.02.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 16.29.02.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry for the delay, ive been away. THANKS so much for the help!!!!
OK ive managed to Download Catalina and Big Sur. HOWEVER, when i go to install it jus seems to hang - as per Screenshot. Obviously i click ''install'' but nothing happens.?? Any ideas, ive tried Restarting etc, and same issues with both Big Sure and Catalina?
Also, storage wise, we have 500GB and it states 469GB available so seems to be plenty of space - see screenshot:

ANY ideas please??????

Thanks

Dan
30 gigabytes of disk space is borderline, and is probably the reason why the installation stalls. Try to free up as much space on your drive by copying data files to an external device. It might also be a good idea to have an external drive connected to your Mac on a permanent basis. The system uses a lot more disk space than it appears, mostly snapshots, cache, and other temporary files. Files in the Trash are not accounted for either. Empty the trash as well. I get nervous when my free space goes below 40% of total capacity.

Anyway, after you free up space on the drive, try starting in Safe Mode (reboot and hold down the Shift key until you see the progress bar underneath the Apple. This might make the Mac run slower than normal, but it will only be for the purpose of installing the upgrade. And with minimal background processes running, there will be less (invisible) temporary files taking up disk space. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi There
Sorry for late reply- quick question, doesn't that Screenshot indicate 476Gb ''available'', meaning free, out of the total 499GB capacity?

Or, are you saying I only have 30GB of space left??

Thanks very much

Dan

Reaction score
Hi There
Sorry for late reply- quick question, doesn't that Screenshot indicate 476Gb ''available'', meaning free, out of the total 499GB capacity?

Or, are you saying I only have 30GB of space left??

Thanks very much

Dan
Sorry, I misunderstood. From the screen grab, I can make a guess as to what the issue is. If you are running macOS 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and your drive is formatted HFS+, Catalina might not be installable because, if I remember right, it requires APFS. To find out your model identifier, go again to the more info window of About This Mac. Select the top (Hardware) category. On the right, below Hardware Overview, the second entry should be Model Identifier. That information should let me check your Mac model and determine what maximum system version your Mac can run.

The format will be (Mac model)##,#. For example, my model ID is “Mac13,1.”

Reaction score
Hi there

Again, thanks so much for the help here. Here you go, screenshot attached - and below:

Please let me know my Options - Can it be upgraded?

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B22
SMC Version (system): 2.12f143

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 14.17.26.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 14.17.26.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hi there

Again, thanks so much for the help here. Here you go, screenshot attached - and below:

Please let me know my Options - Can it be upgraded?

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B22
SMC Version (system): 2.12f143
Your maximum macOS update is Big Sur (11.6.3). Probably the most convenient way to get the installer is through the App Store. Do a search for macOS Big Sur, When it comes up, click on it until you get to the window with the GET button. Click on it and the download should start. It should go all the way to launching the installer. When it does, don’t proceed. Quit and look in your Applications folder for “Install macOS Big Sur.app.” Make a copy for future use.

If you feel that you are ready for the installation, double-click the file again.

If the process were to fail, you can still get the file from:

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks - ive done that, ive downlaoded Big Sur - but the Issue is when i hit Accept Terms it takes me here, and when i click on ''Continue'' - Nothing happens....Nothing.

ANY ideas?? Its driving me MAD

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 17.33.19.png

Reaction score
Thanks - ive done that, ive downlaoded Big Sur - but the Issue is when i hit Accept Terms it takes me here, and when i click on ''Continue'' - Nothing happens....Nothing.

ANY ideas?? Its driving me MAD

View attachment 4510
I assume the installer file is still inside the Applications folder. Quit out of the program, make a copy of the file, then restart in Safe Mode. Better yet, shut down, then restart holding down the Shift key. Log in and open the Applications folder, double-click on the installer file (Install macOS Big Sur.app). It will probably take a while to show any activity since the installer will need to check your hardware. Look at the dock to see if the icon is bouncing up and down.

I think you’re good to go.

Ask a Question