Macbook running slow help?

Reaction score
Okay, so a couple of months ago my Macbook started running slow. It would only do it occasionally which was kind of weird to me. I upgraded my software and ran the necessary checks and everything seemed to be working okay. I took it to the Apple store and they said there was nothing wrong with it. One day for the heck of it I decided to open it up and see if it was something internally. I noticed a small drop of what appeared to be water. It looked like maybe sweat from a cup dropped on it because of how small the spot was. It was on the logic board near the fan. I took picture, but in them you couldn't even see it. I took it back to Apple store and the guy told me that he put in a new stick of RAM and my computer was running just fine. I went to Best Buy and bought two new sticks of RAM and changed from 4 GB to 8 GB. My computer was still running slow. At this point I have given up thinking Im probably going to have to replace the logic board. The only thing I don't understand is my computer runs okay in safe mode. I can browse most web pages, the start up is fast. My keyboard doesn't light up anymore and I can't view videos or anything like that. It just seems like if it was the logic board it would run the same in safe mode as it does when it is not in safe mode.

Sorry for the long post guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Amber

Reaction score
Check the Utilities > Console for clues.

or do an "Install in Place"

Could be your HDrive corrupting key software ensure you have a current back of your files, don't forget your Mail, AddressBook and Cal data.

Reaction score
When the problem first started I wiped the hard drive. Took everything back to how it was when I bought it. Still ran slow and I haven't put anything on it since then

Reaction score
Go into your Utilities folder and open the Activity Monitor. See what's running that's using a lot of power. There might be something running in the background that you're not aware of that's causing the problem. From there you can close any program that seems to be taking up a lot of CPU usage.

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a few things, firstly the fact that it runs well in Safe Mode indicates to me that there may be a problem with software or a driver when it's booted to normal mode. Safe mode disables most drivers including sound.

Also have you run the Apple Hardware Test here is a help link
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509
If there is an issue it should throw up an error code, and if it is this one
4SNS/1/C0000008: TsOP-- 124 it means that there is a temperature sensor error.

Only reason I know this is it happened to my brothers MBP a while back, was driving him nuts.

Reaction score
I followed the instructions but holding down d wouldn't work and I dont have the disks that came with the computer

Reaction score
Then possibly book an appointment with Genius bar staff and get them to run the apple hardware test with you there watching.
As they should have the relevant disks to do this.

Reaction score
It will be a while before I get to go to the apple store. They are 2 hours away from me by I'm thinking it is the graphics card. Is this something easy to replace? And does it cost a lot of money?

Reaction score
There is no "graphics card" so no its not possible to change it.

Doesn't sound like a graphics issue to me.

Why the Apple Store? take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
There are no places around me that work on macs. Closest place is the apple store. If you don't mind me asking what does it sound like to you?

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy and bought two new sticks of RAM and changed from 4 GB to 8 GB.
This is very suspect, 30 volts and no static mat.

Get a static mat and remove the RAM.

Reaction score
What does that mean about the static mat? And I did have antivirus but when I restored my computer it uninstalled and I haven't reinstalled because it's so slow

Reaction score
When I installed the ram I was wearing the static bracelet if I'm not mistaken isn't that the same concept? I've been wrong before

Reaction score
What does that mean about the static mat?
It is incredibly easy to damage RAM by handling it, a anti-static mat reduces this. RAM problems can be very hard to diagnose.

Remove the RAM and see it the problem goes away.

Reaction score
Cross post, lol. We use the full mat.

I'd still remove that RAM and see if the problem persists.

Ask a Question