Confused About MacOS Updates

Reaction score
I have a mid-2011 Mac Mini running MacOS 10.7.5 Lion. According to everything I have studied and read, this Mac will run MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. However, MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra can only be upgraded from MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion or later. Accordingly, I have been attempting to download MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion which is available to my MacBook Pro at the Apple site https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2076?locale=en_US, which clearly shows the icon of a Mountain Lion and a "Download" button. However, when this same site is accessed via my Mac Mini both the icon and the download button are not there. How can I download MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion to my Mac Mini if I cannot select download at this Apple site?

Reaction score

there are links at the bottom of this wikepidid article for downloading Mountaion Lion. (And wikepidia have similar articles and link on all other Mac Os.) Give them a try and see if they work.

regards, Sandy

Reaction score
The link at the bottom of the Wikipedia article is not active for the 10.8 version of MacOS. The available links are for MacOS 10.7 and MacOS 10.9. I cannot upgrade until I get to 10.8.

In addition, I did get MacOS 10.8 downloaded to my MacBook Pro. I then copied it to an external SSD and then plugged that SSD into the Mini. It seemed to run through all the steps (although in a very short period of time for an OS upgrade) and at the end stated that the upgrade was successfully installed. However a check of About This Mac still shows that the Mini is running MacOS 10.7.5. How can I get this Mac Mini upgraded to the latest MacOS it will run?

Reaction score
worked for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 17.16.18pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 17.16.18pm.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Please... I'm not arguing with you. The screenshot you displayed is exactly what I get with my MacBook Pro running MacOS 12.5. But the same site accessed by my Mac Mini running MacOS 10.7.5 does not show the blue Download button nor the Mountain Lion image, just an empty rectangle and when I mouse over these areas... nothing.

I'm looking for some assistance getting my Mac Mini upgraded to MacOS High Sierra. The question would be, Has anyone reading this thread been successful in accomplishing this feat and if so how. Please provide me some guidance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It is probably due to the fact that Safari 6.1.6 in Lion 10.7.5 is too old to render the page correctly. Do you happen to have another browser on the Mac mini to try?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I just tested it on a Paralells virtual machine running Lion 10.7.5 and the Download button doesn't display as klind stated.

klind - You could download it on your Monterey Mac, copy it to a USB flash drive, move it to the mini, and go from there. The download is a disk image DMG file, so that should work.

C

Reaction score
I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions. However, this is really giving me a great deal of problems. For one, I did download the 10.8 dmg to my MacBook. It looked good with a size of 4.5GB. I then attempted to mover the file to a 64GB USB drive with 62GB free space and the copy failed indicating that the USB drive did not have sufficient free space for the dmg file I was attempting to copy. I verified that there was plenty of space and I even copied some other files to be sure the USB drive was good. I then tried another USB (32GB) drive and got exact same response. The only thing I can now, after the fact, think is that the copy needs contiguous space. Perhaps I could have formatted the USB drive and been successful. Regardless, I happened to have a 500GB SSD that I removed from a dead MacBook. I copied the dmg file to that SSD, plugged it into the Mini and proceeded with the upgrade. I watched as the upgrade preceded and responded to each query (to accept the stuff they want you to accept and to continue) the dmg file produced a pkg file which I invoked. Both of these appeared to function as expected, except that the entire process seemed to complete rather quickly for an OS upgrade... perhaps 10 or 15 minutes. At the end it clearly stated that the process is completed, but the Mini is still at 10.7.5. To be sure, I rebooted and it was still 10.7.5. I have been running computers for years. I retired as a System Network Manager. I am completely stumped with this OS upgrade.

Any more ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It may depend on how the USB flash drive is formatted. If it was originally formatted as FAT, you may have an issue since FAT/FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 GB. The SSD is formatted for Mac, so that is why it successfully copied to it.

As for the install, are you sure you chose the Mac min's internal disk for the install, or did you possibly install it on the SSD drive by mistake? Does the Mac mini startup from the SSD when connected?

C

Reaction score
Not sure what happened, but... Instead of performing the upgrade from the SSD, I copied the DMG from the SSD to the Mini, dismounted the SSD, ran the upgrade from the Mini and that worked.

At any rate I think I'm doing better now, much thanx to Cory who kept me thinking... Thanx Cory, you the man!

Ask a Question