I'm so confused.

Reaction score
hello.. I have a Mac OS X v.10.4.11

It was originally given to me by a friend. I changed his password and modified the administrator account name and was obviously unable to change the short name so I just didn't bother. This morning however, I decided I wanted to change it so I clicked around on the internet looking for any possible way to do so. I ended up creating a new account and putting all of the files I wanted from the original account into the shared file, so I could login on the new account and manually put them away. I couldn't access iTunes on this new account though, it said I didn't have sufficient privileges. At this point I just wanted to go back to the way I had it and was wondering why I cared so much about the short name in the first place. So I moved everything back into the shared folder to put the files back into the original account and deleted the account I had just created. Now, my iTunes has been wiped out, I don't have sufficient privileges to access my desktop and my memory is low? I don't know what happened and I am considering using the start up disks to make my computer like new again.

I know windows has that thing where you can reboot your computer to configurations it had at an earlier time/date, can Macs do that as well?

Thanks.

Reaction score
hello.. I have a Mac OS X v.10.4.11

It was originally given to me by a friend. I changed his password and modified the administrator account name and was obviously unable to change the short name so I just didn't bother. This morning however, I decided I wanted to change it so I clicked around on the internet looking for any possible way to do so. I ended up creating a new account and putting all of the files I wanted from the original account into the shared file, so I could login on the new account and manually put them away. I couldn't access iTunes on this new account though, it said I didn't have sufficient privileges. At this point I just wanted to go back to the way I had it and was wondering why I cared so much about the short name in the first place. So I moved everything back into the shared folder to put the files back into the original account and deleted the account I had just created. Now, my iTunes has been wiped out, I don't have sufficient privileges to access my desktop and my memory is low? I don't know what happened and I am considering using the start up disks to make my computer like new again.

I know windows has that thing where you can reboot your computer to configurations it had at an earlier time/date, can Macs do that as well?

Thanks.
Hello, whenever one gets a used Mac it's always a good practice to do an "erase and install" of the operating system. Of course, prior to doing so, you might want to make it a point to backup the files that you want to keep.
As for the "windows thing" where you can reboot your computer to configurations it had at an earlier time/date, Mac has something that's not exactly like that but similar called "Time Machine". Unfortunately, this feature isn't available on your current operating system.
Are your tunes still in the iTunes music folder?
If so, you might want to back them up along with the other files that you want to keep and do an "erase and install" of the O.S. :)

Ask a Question