Unable to reinstall macOS

Reaction score
Hi - I have erased macOS and everything else to reset my MacBook Pro (2016, 4tbt3), but I am not able to reinstall macOS. When it is almost done installing, I get a message that an error occured and I should try again. I have tried many times :)
I have also tried the Disc Utility first aid and it found a problem in the storage system (code 8) that it could not repair.
I don't know where to go from here, so any advice is welcome :)

(The attached photos are in danish but maybe they can help)

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2022-07-26 kl. 20.14.25.png
    Skærmbillede 2022-07-26 kl. 20.14.25.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Skærmbillede 2022-07-26 kl. 20.14.34.png
    Skærmbillede 2022-07-26 kl. 20.14.34.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hi - I have erased macOS and everything else to reset my MacBook Pro (2016, 4tbt3), but I am not able to reinstall macOS. When it is almost done installing, I get a message that an error occured and I should try again. I have tried many times :)
I have also tried the Disc Utility first aid and it found a problem in the storage system (code 8) that it could not repair.
I don't know where to go from here, so any advice is welcome :)

(The attached photos are in danish but maybe they can help)
Assuming that you wish to start from scratch and don’t mind losing all of the data on your drive, I suggest using Recovery to install macOS. Your MacBook Pro should be able to run macOS Monterey, or Recovery will offer to install the newest version that your Mac can run.

Recovery assumes that you are connected to the internet and that you have an Apple ID.

Boot into Recovery by immediately holding down ⌘-R. Wait until the Apple logo appears with the progress bar underneath before releasing the keys. Once Recovery is running, go to Disk Utility and select your drive. Click on Erase (not Partition) and choose APFS as the format. The drive name should default to “Macintosh HD.” Proceed, or change the drive name if you wish, with the formatting. You can perform a First Aid if you feel the need. Afterwards, exit Disk Utility and go into installing macOS. If there are no hardware or firmware problems with the Mac, the installation should be successful. You will then be guided through the initial setup and/or data migration.

If for some reason you need to install an older version of macOS other than Monterey, you will have to resort to doing the installation from an external device. Recovery will not provide you with that choice.

Ask a Question