SOLVED Monterey and message flagging

Reaction score
After upgrading My Mac Pro to Monterey I lost the ability to flag emails with coloured flags. It is a bug - I was told
I recently got an automatic upgrade to 12.9.6 and I thought that it might have fixed the bug -- but NO.
Is it a bug or has the facility been removed from Mail?

Reaction score
After upgrading My Mac Pro to Monterey I lost the ability to flag emails with coloured flags. It is a bug - I was told
I recently got an automatic upgrade to 12.9.6 and I thought that it might have fixed the bug -- but NO.
Is it a bug or has the facility been removed from Mail?
What model is your Mac Pro? I’m on macOS Sonoma right now but I still have a startup drive with Monterey macOS 12.6.9. Are you sure you have 12.9.6? Next time I get the chance I will launch Monterey and see if I get the same issue.

Oh, I just refreshed and saw your follow up post. Okay!

Reaction score
When I upgraded my Mac to Monterey I lost the Flaged mailbox, but was still able to flag messages. To fix the missing Flagged mailbox I was able to add it to favorites.

Are you just missing the Flagged mailbox in the left column?

When you right click on a message do you see the option to flag the email? What happens when you select a color like Red?

Reaction score
Hi Tony Aguila and MacsBug - Tony : - My Mac is a late 2013 MacPro - running 12.6.9
MacsBug: - On the left nothing before "From"

I have never right clicked an email before - didn't know I could. I just tried it and I see the flag choices etc. But when I
Try to use it - what happens? Zilch.

I can see we are getting somewhere - please continue

Reaction score
Can you send a screenshot with your mail app open.

You do this by hitting command shift 4 and select the area on the left of your mailbox. Something like the image below.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 5.37.30 PM.png

Reaction score
I don't know how to attach - but I see in the list of options under 'INBOX' there is "FLAGGED" showing the number of flagged messages.

I can load the flagged messages and see them all, but the images are as if they were in Inbox - no flags or colors.

Reaction score
Try this....

In your mail window up on top where you see "From" Right click there and a popup window will show up. Then make sure that there is a checkbox next to Flags.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 6.45.36 PM.png

You can add insert an image by clicking on the inset image icon above the message or hit Command P to bring up the attach window.

Reaction score
Try this....

In your mail window up on top where you see "From" Right click there and a popup window will show up. Then make sure that there is a checkbox next to Flags.

View attachment 4867

You can add insert an image by clicking on the inset image icon above the message or hit Command P to bring up the attach window.
BRILLIANT!! That took about half a minute - and I've spent a couple of hours and trawled through endless verbose explanations on Apple websites, with not a clue about what they mean. Totally useless!! Thank you so much 👏🏻👏🏻

Ask a Question