MacOS Monterey 12.6.7 Issues with opening apps and logging out/restarting/shutting down after giving account admin perms

Reaction score
Hi,

The computer is a family computer and as such there are multiple accounts. The account I use doesn't have admin permissions, however, I wanted to install an updated version of Bluestacks, which required you to use an account with admin perms.

To preface this, when the computer was bought, it had the information from an account on my family's MacBook transferred over (I do not recall the version). The MacBook had this weird thing where if it was inactive for 15 minutes, it would log itself out. I have no idea why and this issue has transferred itself over to the Monterey. The log out can be prevented if an app with unsaved work is open. Some apps will still get closed on occasion, though.

This account was given admin perms via an account with admin perms, and ever since it's been a little weird, even after the perms were removed. Sometimes when the computer tries to log itself out, the apps it does manage to close cannot be opened and it gives the popup "[app name] cannot be opened". Once this happens, no apps can be opened, whether they were active recently or not. Nothing is mentioned about permission and if I try to click the little question mark, it makes a "tk" noise. It also stops me from using control+command+shift+4 to take screenshots. I don't know if it prevents other screenshot commands as I have them disabled. The only way to fix this seems to be to restart the computer.

On occasion the computer won't log out, restart or shut down if attempted manually, even if everything is saved, it just doesn't do anything. The only thing that can be done is shutting it down by holding down the power button, which I understand can be bad for the computer?

I'm not sure what to do and it's getting quite annoying. I don't think a virus was downloaded, as I've used Bluetsacks before and it's quite popular and trusted, although perhaps there was some faulty code? It never installed a new version, though, as it claimed the app was up to date.

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • This may fix the logout issue: Set your Mac to log out when not in use
  • Yes, force powering off with the power button is only recommended as a last resort.
  • Sounds like there may be issues that were transferred from the old MacBook. Hopefully, you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
  • Do other accounts have the same issues? If not, it may be best to backup all of the files in that account, delete it, then recreate it and move the files back in
C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • This may fix the logout issue: Set your Mac to log out when not in use
  • Yes, force powering off with the power button is only recommended as a last resort.
  • Sounds like there may be issues that were transferred from the old MacBook. Hopefully, you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
  • Do other accounts have the same issues? If not, it may be best to backup all of the files in that account, delete it, then recreate it and move the files back in
C
Hi Cory,

I believe there's been trouble backing up this computer's data, however, I've never been the one to attempt it, so I can't say for sure.

As for the other accounts, I'm fairly confident they also get logged out after fifteen minutes. It's annoying but manageable; the main issue is the computer seeming to "jam" on occasion after it attempts to log out in recent times.

I've fiddled with the logout settings, though, so hopefully this will fix things.

Thank you!

Ask a Question