Does macOS Monterey WiFi automatically switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz connection?

Reaction score
My router is set up to use the same SSID for 2.4GHz connections and 5GHz connections, but the Mac's Network settings in relation to WiFi don't state which band it's using or even compatible with. I can't tell if it's automatically switching bands when one gets poor quality, but that would be nice if it did.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I do believe that Macs will automatically switch to maintain the best Wi-Fi connection. You can tell how it is currently connected by holding the Option key down and clicking once on the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar. That will give you a lot of diagnostic information that can be helpful in adjusting your Wi-Fi channel and other Wi-Fi router settings

What brand/model is your router, because many will create an SSID network that can use 2.4 or 5 GHz, or like Apple's AirPort Extreme, the can be separate.

C

Reaction score
I do believe that Macs will automatically switch to maintain the best Wi-Fi connection.
Believing that doesn't mean anything; what indication have you seen that it switches between 5GHz and 2.4GHz?

When I hold down Option and click the WiFi icon at the top, it shows it's using 5GHz, as expected. How would I tell that it ever uses 2.4GHz other than just randomly seeing it when clicking that if it ever did that?

Why do you need to know the brand/model of the router? It's worked perfectly in the past. I'll say that it's not an Apple router, so if the problem is the modem/router, then that isn't an issue for an Apple forum.

Ask a Question