Messenger problems-someone please help!!

Reaction score
Please could someone help me! I'm sorry if there's a really simple answer but i'm quite new to mac and only know basic computer stuff...

I've tried using Adium, amsn, messenger:mac and mercury messenger but when I try and sign in it always says there is a connection error or i'm not connected to the internet. I'm definitely connected to the internet and I am able to log in on windows computers it just doesn't work on my mac.

I've searched the forum but haven't been able to find anything to help! I'd really appreciate someones help please! :)

Reaction score
This would suggest the IM ports are not open via the firewall. To test, turn your firewall off and try again.

Go to system preferences, Internet and Network, then click on 'sharing' and then click on the firewall tab in the middle and turn it off.

Reaction score
Try allowing the ports needed by the IM programs via your firewall. Additionally are you using a router? It could be the router firewall that is blocking.

If your program is telling you that you are not connected to the net when you clearly are, it is most likely a port blocking issue.

Reaction score
ok thanks thats great. If it's the firewall how would I allow these ports through it? I stopped the firewall from working and tried it but still no luck so does that mean it will be my wireless router thats blocking me? How would I be able to change that? The computer that the router is connected too uses windows.

Ask a Question