memory upgrade - fan noise impact

Reaction score
I have a MAC Pro 2008 model.

RAM Upgrade:
I went from 4gb of ram to 12gb ram. Original stock config was 2x 1gb modules in top bay and 2x 1gb modules in bottom bay. Existing config: added the 2 new 4gb modules to the top bay. The total 12gb of ram shows up when I select "about this MAC" so I'm presuming I did this correctly.

Fan Noise:
The fan noise has significantly increased. Is something working harder than it should? One of the 4gb ram modules is running at 79 degrees Celsius (simply after star tup) while others are not that hot.

I know there are fail-safes to shut down the computer if temperatures rise to an unsafe level, however am I potentially damaging the computer with the current configuration and increased fan speeds.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What brand/model RAM did you add?
-If you take out new RAM, does the issue persist?

We'll try and help you troubleshoot.

C

Reaction score
Did you use a static mat when installing them?

I'd say its now stuffed and will lead to all sorts of other problems. I'd get it replaced by an Apple Service centre ASAP.

Reaction score
The Mac runs normal when I uninstalled the additional memory. Fan speed normal, no issues. The brand of the memory is Crucial-apple specific ddr2, pc2-6400 CL=5 Fully Buffered ECC DDR2 800, 1.8v 512meg x 72 memory kit. I followed apple manual anti-static procedures during install

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That looks to be the correct memory.

Maybe you could try the four 1 GB DIMMs in the top card and the two 4 GB DIMMs in the bottom card. If the issue persists, then it may be the new RAM.

C

Ask a Question