iMac G5 Memory Upgrade ?

Reaction score
This isn't really a hardware post but i'm constantly having arguments with my friend about the iMac G5 and that if you remove the back cover and install your own RAM will it void the warrenty i think it doesn't but he say's it deffinetly will.

Please prove him wrong :rolleyes:

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
This isn't really a hardware post but i'm constantly having arguments with my friend about the iMac G5 and that if you remove the back cover and install your own RAM will it void the warrenty i think it doesn't but he say's it deffinetly will.

Hi Danster,
you are correct, the iMac G5 like all other Macs is fully customizeable without voiding the warranty.

If you look in the iMac G5 Manual page 41, it even tells you how to upgrade the RAM.

Regards

Ric

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imac/iMacG5_0342855UG.pdf

Reaction score
I knew it it's just that he's getting a iMac with 1 GB of RAM from apple and i said get it third party and you'll save a bundle, he said he doesn't want to void the warranty by evan touching a screw it will void :mad:

I said it's only if you remove the processor or damage anything.

argg his loss anyway :)

Reaction score
RAM is a user servicable part, and therefore does not void the warrenty aslong as nothing else is touched while the cover is off.

Reaction score
I have told him that shown him the manual + this post but still he insists that if you remove a single screw it will void the warrenty.

I am passed caring now as i have nagged him for ages
It's his fault for losing his own money at least we all get to laugh at him :D

Reaction score
I'v just orderd a stick of 512 RAM for my iMac from crucial, bringing the total RAM to 1GB and wanted to know is it as straight forward as just poping it in the empty slot or do I have to tell the computer that i'm installing it?

Thanks in advance :)

Ric

Reaction score
Make sure the Electricity is turned off - and unplug all devices plugged into the Mac.

Just follow the instructions from the manual and you will be fine; you should however really leave the Mac plugged in to the electric supply - but switched off, when doing the install, this gives a better ground/earth to get rid of any static, you should really get yourself an anti-static wrist band, but failing that (before taking the ram out of the silver anti-static bag that it comes in) touch the case of the power supply or anything metal inside you Mac , this should get rid of any static electricity, then open bag and pop in the ram.

Once the Ram is in, and the case is back on, just boot it back up, and have a loook under the Apple menu, about this computer, if the Ram is there, then you are all done. Nothing else to configue, true plug and play !

If your computer won't boot open back up, (touch metal again-get rid of static!), check that the Ram is seated correctly, if not take out and put back in.

Replace case etc.

If still no boot take out new Ram, reboot check computer will boot without new Ram.

Take out original Ram from slot One and replace with new Ram, reboot etc

If no boot, chances are Ram is fried, doesn't happen very often, so don't worry.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Danster said:

Oh, he's so wrong...

iMac G5 parts you can install yourself

The only current Mac that I know of that RAM is not a user-installable part in is the new Mac mini.

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
I've seen a few pic's of people breaking the case of the Mac Mini to try and get in, it looks like a bit of a pain. Two putty knives required to get in it.

I have heard that some Apple sources have said that you can put memory in it, as long as you don't break anything !

I think for most users, that as you say, means that it is not user-installable, because most people would break the case trying to get in..

One thing I've always liked about my Mac's is the ease that you can get the top off !!

The winner has to be B/W G3, one little finger in the latch hole, side drops and off you go...never done that with any other manufacturer.

Now scratching my head trying to remember the worst Mac's I've ever had to open...

Probably, way back when... SE30 or a Mac Classic ?

Attachments

• macminiram.jpg
    macminiram.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 599
Reaction score
I'v just installed my RAM wow this thing flys with a GB in :D

I was worried at first because I had to push quite hard and it wasn't going in so, I pushed at one end and it clicked in, then had to push the other (sticking out end in) then .....click all done. It even had instructions on inside the iMac case on how to install ram/airport.

Seems quite easy to install RAM on the mini but trickier to overclock which I'v heard is very easy to do on the mini.

Do you have a mini Ric?

Ric

Reaction score
Depending on the type of socket you are pushing the RAM into, it sometimes is best to try and push it in equally, otherwise it won't go in at all.

I'm glad it's gone in and working okay.

No, I've not got a mini, (I'll refer back to Cory's Wife 1.0), there was a time when I would have every gadget going...

...nowadays I pick and choose a bit more. e.g. A Mac Mini for me - a new watch for wife 1.0 etc. (I think it's called compromise !)

...I'll be in trouble if she see's all this wife 1.0 business, LOL.

Ric

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the current state of play on "Overclocking" current Mac processors, it's not something I think about anymore.

I am generally quite happy with the speed of all the machines, that I currently use. I suppose I have become more patient with age and don't need constant speed !

Overclocking, can generally make your machine a lot more unstable, due to the heat in the processor, unless you have a very good way of cooling it, and you always have to be carefull in case you completely fry the machine...Over clock with caution !

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric is spot-on about the overclocking and heat. In addition, it's a little harder to get a stable higher speed on current Macs due to the fact that they are pushed as fast as they can go pretty much by IBM. Adding RAM, faster HD, faster video are the best and most stable speed increases other than buying a new machine.

C

Ask a Question