iMac G4 800 memory upgrade card recommendation?

Reaction score
Greetings from Dallas, where it is not raining, for the first time in a week. Nice to see the sun.

I want to upgrade my iMac G4 800 RAM from the current 512 (256 in each slot) to 1G - the max it will take. This is do-able only by accessing the non-user-accessible card slot. I don't have the nerve to do it myself, so am hiring someone, but am looking for input about the best place to get the memory cards. This is further complicated in that the DIMM slot (non-user-accessible) is 168 pins, while the SO-DIMM slot is 144 pins.

I'd like to get the cards from Crucial, who makes them for Apple. They have a 144-pin 512 card for the SO-DIMM slot, but nothing for the DIMM slot. I did find a 168-pin 512 card on the Crucial website that looks right, but it appears to be for the G3 - maybe *only* the G3. here's the link: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8D1F1C53A5CA7304

My questions are:
1. Can I use that card that seems to be for the G3? I suspect NOT.
2. Since Crucial may not have what I need, what other companies are reliable vendors/manufacturers?
3. Any other brilliant ideas?

Thanks. I'm going back outside for a little while...

Ask a Question