Making a Sony Handycam work with my Mac!

Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion over connectivity compatibility and program compatibility.

If your Mac has USB and or Firewire, then connectivity of any USB or firewire video camera is not an issue - ever. You do NOT need a firewire camera to work with your Mac!

Firwire and USB are only methods of transfering files, and have nothing whatsoever to do with encoding.

If you are not supplied with a program for encoding/editing with your video camera for the Mac, and the compression is not immediately compatible because of mpeg2/different encoding, then using Visual Hub will solve the problem.

Visual Hub is only £12 to purchase and you can use this to encode and then use iMovie etc to finish off. There should be no need for you to get rid of your video camera then, be it Sony or otherwise.

Having said that, I do agree that video manufacturers should supply encoding/editing software for both Mac and Windows instead of just Windows (as many do.)

I also think that Sony should not charge for their Mac version of the windows software they supply with their video cameras - they should supply both formats, not penalise Mac users!

But, the important bit is you do not need to use their software - use Visual Hub instead.

Reaction score
I have bought a JVC Everio GZ-MG155 and am trying to load the videos from it onto my mac, but the files are locked and i can't seem to unlock them. Is there anyway of doing this without buying the mac compatible software?
Thanks.

Reaction score
I have just managed to get Sony movie files from a new DCR-SR32E to work on an Ibook laptop. I read all the messages above, and found that by using VisualHub and the USB cable supplied by Sony with the camera, I have been able to convert the files to MP4 format. With that format, the files have run successfully in Quicktime.

I decided to write a step by step guide which I hope will help others tackling this problem with their new Christmas present Sony camera. Here is the guide:

How to get SONY Handycam movie files to work on an Apple laptop (by Charles Delap, 30 December 2007)

Connect the Sony Handycam dock to a power source

Make sure the Handycam is sitting in its dock

Connect the Handycam dock to the laptop, using the USB wire provided by Sony.

Switch on the camera

Switch on the laptop

All the files on the camera should transfer to the laptop.

The still pictures can be viewed on the computer, but the movie files cannot, until they are converted.

If you have not already done so, download VisualHub from
http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/.
You can use an evaluation version, until you are satisfied that it is working for you.

Open the VisualHub application

(This is the programme that will convert the files from the format they are in on the Sony HDD Handycam to the format, MP4, in which they can be played on your Apple computer with Quicktime)

Open ‘Finder’ on the laptop

Find the newly imported movie files (you may need to search for them)

Drag the movie files you want to convert onto the space in the VisualHub window called
‘Drag the files to be converted below’

Select MP4 on the top line of the VisualHub window. You can also set the quality, but from a brief test which I did, there seems to be little difference between ‘Standard’ and ‘High’

Select the place you want to save the converted movie files to. If you don’t like the suggested location you can click ‘edit’ and select another location.

If you want to join together the movie files which you are converting, into a continuous sequence of film, click ‘Stitch Videos Together’. VisualHub will ask you to give a name to your new, stitched, file.

Click ‘Start’ to begin the conversion. VisualHub will tell you how the conversion is going, and when it is complete, and how long it took.

Click the new, converted file, Quick Time shuld open, and you can enjoy the show!

After thoughts:
1. I have not yet tried editing these files in an Apple movie editing programme. I will be interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

2. There definitely is no Firewire port in either the Handycam camera (DCR-SR32E) or its dock

Reaction score
I am a complete Luddite. I bought the Mac because it's supposedly idiot proof.... (!)

I have a Sony DCR-SR72E and have spent a fair few hours getting frustrated at my inability to upload from the camera's hard disk to the Mac. Sony helpline wouldn't admit to problems (they were telling me to buy updated iMovie/Finalcut etc software - expensive and unnecessary). Apple helpline solved it - by inadvertantly directing me to this thread (Apple helpline google searched the problem and directed me here).

Thanks for the directions to Visualhub. It works. No need to buy firewires etc - I uploaded through the USB. If anyone is unsure - go get it and download it - you can try it in trial mode for free (although this only works for clips of less than 2 minutes duration). When using Visualhub - click on "MP4" on the top bar - this converts the files on the Handycam hard drive to the right format for iMovie.

It is a bit time consuming, but at least the movies from the hard drive of the Handycam are now safely in iMovie ('06 version - someone else tried to tell me I neede to buy iLife with the '08 version of iMovie - I didn't).

Reaction score
Hi, are you able to edit the movies in imovie you have now converted through visualhub? I am new to mac in fact it hasn't even been delivered yet but I have a sony DCR-SR32E and am concerned that I won't be able to take advantage of the imovie software. Please let me know... thanks
VM

I am a complete Luddite. I bought the Mac because it's supposedly idiot proof.... (!)

I have a Sony DCR-SR72E and have spent a fair few hours getting frustrated at my inability to upload from the camera's hard disk to the Mac. Sony helpline wouldn't admit to problems (they were telling me to buy updated iMovie/Finalcut etc software - expensive and unnecessary). Apple helpline solved it - by inadvertantly directing me to this thread (Apple helpline google searched the problem and directed me here).

Thanks for the directions to Visualhub. It works. No need to buy firewires etc - I uploaded through the USB. If anyone is unsure - go get it and download it - you can try it in trial mode for free (although this only works for clips of less than 2 minutes duration). When using Visualhub - click on "MP4" on the top bar - this converts the files on the Handycam hard drive to the right format for iMovie.

It is a bit time consuming, but at least the movies from the hard drive of the Handycam are now safely in iMovie ('06 version - someone else tried to tell me I neede to buy iLife with the '08 version of iMovie - I didn't).

Reaction score
I have a sony DCR-sr32e and I have tried everything to get it working on my mac. I tried the VisualHub fix you mentioned and it does work to some extent, certain aspects of the file quality are vastly improved, such as the strobing and horizontal lines, but I find the overall sharpness and clarity of the image has faded and I still have an issue with horizontal lines.

As my camera is only a few days old I think I am going to have to return it, even though it is a lovely little thing.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I would like to retract all my previous statements about loving our HandyCam. We had major problems before we'd even had it a year and it spent three months in the shop! We've had problems with our Sony TV, also, and although our model was discontinued because of the problem, Sony will not compensate us whatsoever for our $2000 television.

Take that sucker back! Sony has been riding on its reputation far too much for the last 2-3 years!

Reaction score
I have a sony DCR-hc20e . I would like to install sony handycam driver on my mac but I can't find driver for mac! what can I do?

Reaction score
I just spent about an hour trying to figure this out and it finally worked! I used the thread provided to iGirl with a few modifications as I could not figure out how to access the USB mode on my camera. Making sure the camera is in play mode is very important because the USB option is not accessible from any other mode. Click the on button several times to get the camera into play mode. My USB option was under the standard set in the setup menu. There are 2 options regarding the speed. I switched it to full speed and imovie recognized the camera right away and importing the movies could not be easier. I just had to find the damn USB mode on my particular camera. Look at the setup items in your user manual. Very easy. No software or cables needed.

Reaction score
So are your movies now appearing ok. i.e. picture quality and sound. I have this handycam and I am thinking of purchasing my first Mac, but if there are loads of issues with Sony products [my still camera is also sony] then I might have to stick with a boring windows PC.

Reaction score
Yes - it works fine now. I actually think the problem was as simple as me not having the camera in the right mode. I LOVE my Mac. iMOVIE is awesome and so easy. I could never figure out how to edit my movies on my PC or even just save them to a DVD so I could mail to my family. It's probably because I never downloaded the software that came with the camera. Anyway, no problems using the handycam with the MAC. I highly recommend it!

Reaction score
So what was the process of connecting the DCR-SR32E to the Mac, as from reading through the previous posts the process looks complicated.

Could the compatibility issues be resolved with the release if iLife 09?

Reaction score
I have a handycam. I plugged it into the computer using the USB port that came with the camera. Turned it to play mode and i-movie recognized it immediately. Could not be easier.

Reaction score
Please help...I have spent hours reading manuals and discussion threads and I am still unable to connect and download video from the handycam to the Mac.

Sony Handycam model HDR XR200V, recently purchased in December 2009.

Connecting using USB supplied by Sony, handycam is in PLAY mode, USB Connects....however, iPhotos recognizes the connection and prompts you to download photos.... you would expect iMovies to do the same...but it doesn't...at all...nothing happens...have also tried in the "camcorder" mode as well as "camera" mode both in PLAY.

Previous threads mentioned VisualHub, firewall cables, etc. while other threads mentioned that no extra cables or software required.... I am so confused...please help...any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I realize this thread is long and extensive, and that the last post was this past December but I need some help, and I'm hoping someone here can do that.

I just bought a Sony Handycam DCR-SR68 and I'm having problems. I did this to get movies to my Mac. http://guide.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/mac/ms/us/
My Mac, 10.6.3 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

So, getting the movies on my Mac I can do, but Mac does not recognize the format. I need to change it from MPG, can anyone tell me where or how?

I went to this web address, http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/, but it is no longer in business.

Help? Please?

Reaction score
I've decided to take the Handy Cam back to Staples, just not worth it, I'll look for a better match for my iMac.

Reaction score
well my friend also faced the same problem

and what i suggested him would also suggest to you as well

go and get the codecs downloaded from torrentz.com

hope it works for you as well....

free online games
dress up games

I've just purchased a lovely HDD Handycam today model number DCRSR32E . I am very happy with it but after taking some footage and trying to upload it I've encountered a problem. It won't work with iMovie, iPhoto or Final Cut Pro. My Intel iMac is not recognising the USB connection.

After a bit of exploring I find out that the problem maybe because the camera records in MPEG-2 format which is a Windows format. Certainly the boxed software is Windows only.

I think there is a Quicktime codec plug in to get that will help but they want more money for it!

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to make it work or I will have to exchange it for a different one which I don't want to do as I like this one :mad:

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. One of the memory sticks for my handicam worked fine with my mac, but another will not.

I've searched for visualhub, but it seems to have been shut down.

Any suggestions on how to get these clips off my handicam and into my mac? My parents have the software to get it onto their PC's so I could also go for a program that will help me get them from that PC to my Mac. I tried taking the files via zip drive but they're just not in the right format. Whatever that format is...

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a sony DCR-trv140 camcorder. It is a digital 8 which uses a tape to record on. I have not been able to get my MacBook to recognize the camera. My MacBook is new but it does not have a firewire port. Bummer! Can anyone help? The MacBook will not recognize the USB port when I connect the camera to it. I must be missing something, but don't know what.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Just wanted to update my previous posts to say that our Sony Handycam works great now with my new macbook - no additional software is needed. Still don't like Sonys, though, always problems...

Ask a Question