Making a video

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the iMac arena so bear with me, please. I want to hear what kind of software y'all use (yeah, I'm from the south) to create videos. Here's the deal. My brother had to create a "multi-media" project as a HS senior in 1975. At the time, we were really uptown using a slide projector, a cassette recorded soundtrack and a script for the projector operator to know when to change slides. Good for a laugh, I know, but it got him an A.
I'd like to create a video to then burn to a DVD and sent to him for his 60th birthday. I've acquired the means to convert the cassette to MP3 file. I can scan the slides. What do you recommend to weave this all together and be able to have the slide changes "built into" the video file.
Hope this makes sense; if I can clarify, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

A little more info will help us help you:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-You want a video that can be played on a DVD player, correct?
-Do you have any third-party apps already that process audio, video, and photos, or do you only have the standard Apple apps - iMovie, iTunes, and Photos?
-What kind of time frame do you have for this project?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have :
iMac 15, 1 27" 5K
Intel I5, 4 core
OS is Sierra 10.12.6
Yes, want to be able to combine elements to make a DVD
Nope, just what came on the machine.
I at first thought I was in a hurry, but that's not the case.

Reaction score
Still could use some help on this. I have had some VHS tapes converted and what I got back were MP4 files. What format do I need to convert to to make a DVD . . . .MOV? What software is good for this?

Reaction score
The format of DVDs is MPEG-2, also known as H.222 or H.262. The best (and free!) program to use for converting from MP4 to MPEG-2 is Handbrake, available from here:

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

It works like a charm! I recently used it to convert a number of files with different video formats to MP4. If you click on the Features tab on that page/link, it will show you all the supported formats (along with other stuff).

Reaction score
Thanks so much!! I'm still learning Mac and just beginning to learn about moving stuff to DVD. Very helpful!!

Reaction score
So, do I burn a series of converted files or try to combine them.? If they're individual files, are they like scenes on commercial DVDs? Sorry so many questions; I'm an absolute newbie at this.

Ask a Question