Making a Copy of the "Install MacOS "whatever OS"" File

Reaction score
I have continually made the point about making a copy of the "Install MacOS "whatever OS"" file that resides inside the Applications folder after downloading it from the App Store. The reason is that after launching that file, and when installation of the OS completes, that file is removed/deleted. However, it is confusing as to under what circumstances that actually happens.

Whenever I do a complete recovery from my SuperDuper! backup, I first boot my Mac to that backup, then use Disk Utility to Erase and Format my internal drive (SSDs for my current Macs), and then launch the "Install macOS Sierra" file from a different location on that backup (not the one inside the Applications Folder). When the installation completes, the file does not get deleted.

So, if someone could provide an explanation of the deletion "circumstances" for such a file, that would be very, very helpful.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I believe it will only delete when it resides in the Applications folder. I do remember recently seeing an OS prompt to keep the file after an installation, but I am not totally sure of that.

I simply copy all of the OS X installers to an external drive, and run them from there if need be as you stated. it doesn't seem to delete them in that scenario.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. That is what I have always thought. I just hope others have read this thread, as there have been quite a number of instances where folks do not have that file anymore.

Like you, I always make a copy of such installers, initially on my internal drive in another folder, and then on my external drives (SDDs in my case) via my weekly SuperDuper! backups. But even when I run it from those backups, I run it from that "alternate" folder, not from the Applications folder.

Last edited:

Ask a Question