Making a Sony Handycam work with my Mac!

Reaction score
I've just purchased a lovely HDD Handycam today model number DCRSR32E . I am very happy with it but after taking some footage and trying to upload it I've encountered a problem. It won't work with iMovie, iPhoto or Final Cut Pro. My Intel iMac is not recognising the USB connection.

After a bit of exploring I find out that the problem maybe because the camera records in MPEG-2 format which is a Windows format. Certainly the boxed software is Windows only.

I think there is a Quicktime codec plug in to get that will help but they want more money for it!

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to make it work or I will have to exchange it for a different one which I don't want to do as I like this one :mad:

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi
when you connect the cam using the USB lead do you get an icon appear on your desk top? If so what does it contain.

Reaction score
No I don't get any icon. Also no option to import media in any of the applications I mentioned above.

Grr.

Reaction score
Hi again this is quite an enigma
If you plug the camcorder in the USB port then go to the "about this mac" under the blue apple then click on the more info, that should launch "System Info" thwn, on the left hand side select USB. Does the computer recognise the camera?

Reaction score
Me again
I have just had a play with my JVC HDD camcorder. You must have it turned on in the play mode this is probably trying to teach to suck eggs as my old man used to say "all problems are simple until proved otherwise"

Reaction score
The only modes are ON and OFF/CHARGE. It's all new to me too as I only got it today. My old JVC MiniDV camcorder works fine but then it has a DV port besides the USB so compatible with my Mac.

In the manual it says you need to use the software on the disc supplied to upload movies/photos but this is Windows only software so I'm looking for a way to configure it so one of my above applications can run it.

Maybe Quicktime Pro is an option?

Reaction score
You need to go into the cameras settings (is it touch screen?) and set up USB, leave it in that mode, and connect it, or connect it and then set up USB from the cameras settings.

You must ensure you are in play mode which is also available via your touch screen settings on the camera's lcd, or the button settings under the lcd if it is not touch screen.

Reaction score
Yes it is a touch screen. I've gone through all the handbook and nothing is mentioned about 'setting up' the USB. It appears that after you install the supplied software (Picture Motion Browser) that only works on Windows, the computer automatically recognises the camcorder once it's switched on and connected and from there you can upload your videos.

I should have checked it was compatible before I got it, just thought as most things are Mac compatible now it wouldn't be a problem. Dammit.

Reaction score
I have almost the same handycam, you will need to put it in play mode once connected, and then launch your program. I will have a look at mine.

Forget to mention, if it is in easy mode, you will need to take this off to access more indepth settings. I am just going through mine now so will let you know.

Reaction score
Yes, as I thought there is definatey a USB setting on it - there has to be, and my model is the same one apart from it is a slightly earlier version with a 30GB hard drive.

FIRSTLY TURN ON YOUR CAMERA AND EXIT EASY MODE IF IT IS IN EASY MODE - You can do this by pressing the easy button.

You need to plug in the camera to your computer. Then turn it on, then put into PLAY mode, then wait a few second and press P-menu (in bottom right corner)

Now, press "set up", scroll down or up to "HDD set" then click OK (on the bottom right)

Another menu will appear - scroll up or down to USB select, and press HDD - and then launch your program.

Compatibility is not generally an issue with camcorders, because the windows software is usually a driver (which Macs do not need) and an editing program, which you already have on your Mac.

I have not tested this camera yet because we have only just got it - but all modern cameras have a setting on them for USB or firewire, which is essential when connecting to the computer -

I have not looked at the manual, but I am surprised it is not mentioned in there, I will have a look later.

Reaction score
FANTASTIC - thanks so much for that. It's now connecting up :)

That's the thing I didn't understand. With Macs it's normally simple, just plug in and a removable device comes up but it didn't before. I can now understand the separate options for the HDD and memory stick.

The flid at the shop gave me a 512MB memory stick pro (did it for just £20 so was chuffed) but it need the pro DUO so had to take it back. Though the manager gave me a 1GB one for the same price!!!! Hehe.

I'm so happy that my camcorder works now I'm can't stop smiling - I love this camcorder so much :)

Thanks a million again :)

Reaction score
Bummer, I've got another problem now. When I play the movie on my computer it has no sound!

I did some research on the internet and came up with a player called Streamclip. When I play the file through that it plays with the sound. But when I save it, realplayer just plays the movie with no sound. QT the same. iMovie imports the movie but no picture or sound!

I think I need some sort of codec so Streamclip can convert the files. The codec is for QT.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
i seem to have the same problem you are having, but it seems you got further than me as I took my sony camcorder back. Have you now managed to get the film and audio into imovie to edit. I need to buy another camera, and I too loved the sony, but was so frustrated, and didnt like the editing software that came with it, I tried it on a sony laptop. But I want to use a hd camcorder with my mac. Anyway, at least I dont feel so alone with this now, as camera shops seem to have little knowledge of macs

Reaction score
Hello, was just reading your response to igirl, and i seem to have the same problem but sadly not her patience. Can you recommend an HD camcorder, ie the sony or everio or panasonic, or do they all need this kind of set up, do any of them come with a firewire? thanks for your time

Reaction score
Hello, was just reading your response to igirl, and i seem to have the same problem but sadly not her patience. Can you recommend an HD camcorder, ie the sony or everio or panasonic, or do they all need this kind of set up, do any of them come with a firewire? thanks for your time

Hi,

It is very difficult to recommend one really, and the best thing to do before making a purchase is some research, and the best place to start is here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

Reaction score
Bummer, I've got another problem now. When I play the movie on my computer it has no sound!

I did some research on the internet and came up with a player called Streamclip. When I play the file through that it plays with the sound. But when I save it, realplayer just plays the movie with no sound. QT the same. iMovie imports the movie but no picture or sound!

I think I need some sort of codec so Streamclip can convert the files. The codec is for QT.

Anyone got any ideas?

Its because you need to encode and decode before you can get it to play in quicktime/Imovie, and you will also need additional codecs.

The better thing would be to find a compaitble program that works with the camcorder that does not involve loads of work to get an end result.

Ric

Reaction score
...not that this helps, but I had a Sony Camcorder once, it too had their MPEG format...it got traded in for a regular MiniDV Canon one !

With a nice Firewire socket...

Reaction score
..Or, if you have an intel version Mac, you could always put windows on :) These are nice cameras, very light (which is great for me) and easy to use.

EDIT: Here we go, Sony software for HDD camcorders for the Mac (not free though!)

http://www.pixela-1.com/sony/hdd/mac/

Reaction score
If you buy both (the editing and burning software) it works out at £54 - click on the attachment.

I suppose if you are heavily into video work, it is worth it, or look around for a different version that is compatible with it. It is a shame there is not a demo!

Attachments

• SONY.jpg
    SONY.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 729

Ask a Question