Mail program

Reaction score
Can't setup Mail (V. 306) that came with system software, OS X 10.5.8. I have a "new" PowerMac G5,Dual, 2.3 powerpc. My ISP MediaCom (high speed internet) helped me through the part of setup that involved their specifics such as IP address, etc. The "Incoming mail" is fine, but I when I set the "Outgoing Mail" to the settings the ISP requires, it still won't connect. Their seemingly knowledgeable support guy says that it's an Apple setting that they don't get into... says it should be set to "5". I don't know what this means or how to set it.

Thanks,
Dave States

Reaction score
Got to preference under Mail then accounts then click on outgoing mail bubble at bottom then edit server list advanced there you will find the port box you're looking for, it also gives you the default ports it up you, you can try them all you may find 1 that work for you or use the one your ISP recommends

you'll find user name & password box there too

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As per Greenman's instructions, can you post here which Ports are being used in the:

Mail Preferences ~> Account Information ~> Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) Pull Down Menu ~> Edit SMTP Server List ~ Advanced ~> Use Default Ports:​

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

In Mail Preferences ~> Incoming Mail Server:​

Is your account type POP or IMAP?

Finally can you post what is says in:

OutGoing Mail Server (SMTP):​

It's a shame that MediaCom aren't going out of their way to help you get set up ... I find that with ISP's it all boils down to who you talk to on the day. If you're not happy with what you're told, quickly thank them and say bye bye's and ring their number again. You never know, you may strike someone prepared to go that little bit extra to help you.

Ask a Question