Recommended email programme

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a simple, no bells & whistles email prog for Mac OS 10.7.5. I am using gmail on a windows laptop but would like an alternative to gmail on the Mac - elderly Macbook 2008. Am in UK.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Does the Apple Mail app not do what your need? It may be harder to find a compatible version of third-party apps for Mac OS X Lion.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, I'm sure it will suit, if I can find out how to find it. But since it's one you've mentioned, I'll have a look. Have looked for programmes - so many I'm confused, so Apple Mail I will look for. Let you how it goes.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

The Mail app is installed with OS X. You should see it in Macintosh HD > Applications > Mail.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

The Mail app is installed with OS X. You should see it in Macintosh HD > Applications > Mail.

C

Hello Cory, yes I've found it but my gmail uses it. I would like tokeep both email addresses separate.
Can I use a different access name or address?

Reaction score
Found it but it is the programme my gmail uses. Can I use a different user name, would like to ensure I don't get them muddled and send the wrong thing to the wrong people!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, you can add multiple accounts in the Mail app. You can then see the respective Inbox/Sent/etc. for each account.

C

Reaction score
Have tried to add a new account. But when I add name, email and password and click on create, the same is already in use. If I use different name and email address, it fails. Don't want gmail. What am I not doing right?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
So, you don't want your Gmail account on the Mac, and want a different email address?

C

Reaction score
Yes. I use gmail on the Mac. But I want a totally different email programme that I can choose a different variation of my name. Have used Hotmail in the past but for some reason I closed it some time ago probably because of too many adverts or it went to Outlook. Is Outlook ok?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I think you may be confusing email applications and email providers.

Email Applications on a Mac
-Apple Mail
-Mozilla Thunderbird
-Microsoft Entourage/Outlook

Email Providers
-Apple iCloud
-Google Gmail
-Microsoft Outlook/Hotmail/Live/MSN
-Yahoo!
-Comcast/TimeWarner/Charter/etc. - cable ISP (Internet Service Providers)

If you already have a Gmail account, and it is already added to the Mail app, you would have to first create a new account with one of the email providers in the list. You can then add it to the Mail app, or use another email application and add it there if you want them totally separated.. You cannot create a new email account directly in the Internet Accounts or Apple Mail app.

I use the following:
-Apple Mail - 3 different email accounts on my iMac, 3 different email accounts on my Mac mini
-Microsoft Outlook - 3 different email accounts on my work MBP and MBA
-Mozilla Thunderbird - 6 different email accounts on my iMac

I could actually add them all to the Apple Mail app, and they would all show as separate accounts in the sidebar.

That make sense?

C

Reaction score
Yes, this is what I need to know. I'll get down to do it tomorrow when I have bags of time. Opening a new email account is easy, but keeping it separate from the gmail I didn't understand, Mail is Gmail. Thanks Cory, that's Monday sorted.

Reaction score
Hi Cory, Well I've joined mail.com and already sent a couple of message to let people know I've changed.
Now, how do I leave it on the bar at the bottom of the page where Word, dashboard shortcut firefox shortcut is please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good.

Did you add it to the Mail app? If so, when the Mail app is open, click and hold on the icon and a menu will popup. In that menu, select Option > Keep in Dock.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...you're very welcome.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

C

Ask a Question