mail program rejecting password

Reaction score
Lately my password is being rejected by the Mac mail program. It s a new development that is becoming increasingly frequent and becomes so bad that request for the password can come up one after the other, over and over, during which time the mail program is disabled. I have logged out and back in several times, the system accepts my password but when i go into mail i know the problem will resurface. Its happened while i have been writing this message, probably the program is trying to retrieve mail. Its more than inconvenient, i can't operate mail while its happening and i don't know how much time i will have in the mail program... maybe one day or just one second. It needs my attention again now. Hope you have an answer :mad:

Reaction score
Another one- you're on xtra?
This is there server not accepting the User Name/Password and sending an wrong message back to the Mac, this is not a Mac problem but an internet/ISP problem.

We deal with this all the time.
The important thing is to NOT enter a password, click cancel, check you can browser the web, then try again.
You can also check the Window Menu > Connection Doctor

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Yes am on xtra and yes it does refer to server rejecting the password. Had been going along trouble free for 4 years or more so took me by surprise. i will follow your advice re clicking cancel. I did click it out of plain annoyance a couple of times but still got some grief. At some point it took Firefox offline but it might have been something i did. i will also look at the Connection Doctor. If nothing else these problems force me to learn more about my computer and this time i followed through the Keychain path which verified my password and showed that Mail was set to always accept the login ( or words to that affect). A bit more wise all the time, if not a shortened life span.

Reaction score
As I always say when people ask "What ISP?"
"Any one but xtra!"
We have no end of problems with them, and they always blame the Mac, when we know it worked yesterday and now it has problems.

One thing you can check that your Mail hasn't tried changing its port in desperation.

As you're in NZ, our techie is in the office ATM, so give us a call, Google "iLike computing nz" for our number, and she can talk you through checking it.

Ask a Question