Email address is changed while using mac mail program

Reaction score
I sent an email using the Mail program on an iMac running OS 10.11.6. The outgoing mail server is an SMTP at comcast.net.

Both the "To:" and "From:" fields specified my comcast email account.

However, the message that was received had changed the sender field (the "From: comcast.net" field in my outgoing email) to my gmail account.

So if someone simply hits "reply" their email will go to my gmail account rather than to the comcast account that I used.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Are the email accounts setup as IMAP or POP?
-Do you have any email stored in folders on your Mac only?

The first thing to do would be to check the settings for your Comcast and Gmail accounts in Mail. Sounds like the SMTP servers are not set properly.

Also, email issues like this can be difficult to diagnose easily via the Internet, and we'd hate for you to lose any data. We're happy to help, but it may be best to visit an Apple Store if you have one close by.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I do indeed have Time Machine (it has saved me on more than one occasion). If I am reading the preferences correctly the accounts are set up as IMAP. And I do believe that I have most of my email stored only on my Mac.

Do you have suggestions on how I can be sure of the SMTP settings?

I did go into an Apple Store and it was suggested that I call support from home so I would be able to answer specific questions sitting in front of my machine.

Interestingly, and this is completely independent of my email problem, the young man who was helping me left to get some additional information on exactly how to access apple support. When he returned he completely ignored me, turned to my 24 year old son, and proceeded to explain in detail the web path to take to get apple help. I flashed back to a day more than 30 years ago when a salesman at the Good Guys, with my dad standing next to me, explained to me how to set up my dad's new VCR.

When I can corral my son I'll have him direct me to apple support. Just as soon as he finds my reading glasses.

Reaction score
I also use comcast as my ISP, and I use Outlook 2016 as my EMail client. I do not have it "linked" to any other EMail account (I do both gmail and hotmail accounts, but I use my browser to check EMail there). Not sure if this will help, but here is my setup information:

1. Type of Account: Pop

2. Incoming Server: mail.comcast.net : 995

I have "Use SSL to connect" checked.

3. Outgoing Server: smtp.comcast.net : 465

I have "Use SSL to connect" checked here also.

The way I got this information is 1) I launched Outlook 2016, 2) selected Preferences, and 3) under "Personal Settings", clicked on "Accounts". I assume it is similar with Apple's Mail program.

Do you have your gmail and comcast accounts "linked" via Apple's Mail program?

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. My email accounts are IMAPs (how this differs from POP accounts, I don't know). But my Mac Mail program seems similar to your Outlook in that the incoming mail server is configured the same. The outgoing server is smtp.comcast.net but I couldn't find a place to check the port or whether SSL is checked. So that could be a problem.

As to whether the gmail and comcast accounts are linked, I'm afraid that I don't know. Mac Mail does check all of our several accounts with some regularity (just how often I don't know and how to set that interval is also a mystery).

For some reason newly composed messages usually get sent via the comcast server. Occasionally, and again I don't know why, outgoing mail is routed to the gmail server. If I happen to notice that the outgoing server is not the one I expected, I can change it easily enough.

Reaction score
You're welcome.

This link has an embedded video that explains in a clear manner the differences between POP (actually POP3) and IMAP:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-the-difference-between-pop-and-imap-19318

For myself, if I am traveling, I can access my comcast EMails from my laptop. Also, and I suspect you know, I can also use my browser to get to my EMails on comcast, via the site www.xfinity.com. Thus, I actually can obtain my comcast EMails anywhere, anytime (as long, of course, there is an internet connection), and hence POP is good enough for me.

Also, as I mentioned, I access my EMails on gmail and hotmail (and/or outlook.com) via my browser. I have no need to see them within Outlook 2016. If I did want to see them in Outlook 2016, I would have to add them to Outlook 2016, just like I added my 2 comcast EMail accounts. I would think it would be the same with Apple's Mail program.

Not sure why you can't see the ports. nor the setting for SSL. Maybe Apple's Mail program keeps that information in another location?

And the routing of an EMail to the gmail server, even though you used a different outgoing EMail address, is definitely strange. I have never had such an issue with Outlook 2016 (nor with any of my prior EMail clients Outlook 2011 and Entourage).

You also stated above "However, the message that was received had changed the sender field (the "From: comcast.net" field in my outgoing email) to my gmail account.". So, are you saying that both the sender's address is sometimes changed from comcast.net to gmail.com, and also that some EMails are routed to gmail.com (implying that the outgoing address is changed to gmail.com)? Sure seems very strange indeed.

Additionally, you stated "Mac Mail does check all of our several accounts with some regularity". For that to happen, Apple's Mail program needs to be setup to do that. The "typical" way is to add those accounts to the program.

Maybe someone who is experienced with Apple's Mail program can provide some assistance. Sorry I can't help any further.

Last edited:

Ask a Question