Mail downloads folder disappeared

Reaction score
The "mail downloads" folder has disappeared from my files. I want to be able to delete files received as e-mail attachments and subsequently opened or downloaded. Where do they go?

I have Mac OS 10.9.5

Jim A.

Reaction score
What mail client do you use?
I use Mac Mail.

Also, if I try and save an attachment that is in an e-mail to a particular folder on my computer (not the downloads folder) it never gets there.

Jim

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try using the Rebuild option found under "Mailboxes" in the menubar

If you navigate to MacintoshHD ~> Users ~> YourUserAccount … there is no Downloads folder there at all? If it's there, just drag it back onto your Dock, just to the left of where the Trash icon is.

Reaction score
Try using the Rebuild option found under "Mailboxes" in the menubar

If you navigate to MacintoshHD ~> Users ~> YourUserAccount … there is no Downloads folder there at all? If it's there, just drag it back onto your Dock, just to the left of where the Trash icon is.

Nothing happened to the regular "Downloads" folder. There used to be a "Mail Downloads" folder in the "Users" section where all of the attached files that I opened and saved went. With that folder gone, I can't save an attached file to anywhere on my computer but the Downloads folder, although I don't know why. It just doesn't work. I also periodically delete the saved files from that Mail Downloads folder, as there is no reason to clutter my computer with them.

You'll see on the attached screen shot that a saved file seems to go to a folder with some unintelligible numerical file name. Those used to be found in the "Mail Downloads" folder, which also appears as an option. But those folders are nowhere to be found. I used to be able to locate them.

"Rebuild" just brought back a bunch of e-mails that I'd deleted.

Jim A.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 10.03.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 10.03.48 AM.png
    85 KB · Views: 638

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
In Mac OS X 10.7 the Mail Downloads folder in found in the user library, have you looked there?

If you look in Mail preferences under General, you specify the location for all downloads there.

I'd forgotten all about the Mail Downloads folder until I did a Spotlight search for it, I changed the download location quite some time ago to suit my preferences.

Reaction score
In Mac OS X 10.7 the Mail Downloads folder in found in the user library, have you looked there?

If you look in Mail preferences under General, you specify the location for all downloads there.

I'd forgotten all about the Mail Downloads folder until I did a Spotlight search for it, I changed the download location quite some time ago to suit my preferences.

I remember having the folder when I had OS10.6.7, but now I have OS10.9.5. Take a look at the attached screen shot. Note the path at the bottom. I used to have all of that. Now when I open the Jim folder the Library is not there. It is as if all of the folders in the Library are still there. (Probably my computer wouldn't work at all without them.) But I can't find them.

JimA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 6.21.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 6.21.06 PM.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 443

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
so what is set in the general tab of mail prefs in the Downloads Folder pull-down menu?

Ask a Question