Change mail attachment downloads location

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have tried to change my default downloads location but all my saved attachements seem to go to User>Library>Containers>com.apple.mail>Data>Library>Mail Downloads rather than a folder I had created on my desktop. I tried to change it by going into Mail>Preferences but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest another way to change this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

This seems a little odd, as a test open Mail > Preferences > General > Downloads folder > click Other and navigate and select your downloads folder as the destination folder. Close this window and exit Mail.
Reopen Mail and test what is the result?

Also could you tell us which OS X and Mail version you are running.

Reaction score
With Sandboxing that is the location Mail MAY save to. You don't access them from there and may break the Mail database moving files down there.

Use Save Attachment or Drag and Drop to save the Attachments where you need them.

Reaction score
And ausil2000

I have most of my apps Mail,Safari, Skype etc save directly into my downloads folder, and here is an example of Kavemans save attachment method, which is honestly the easiest option for you. There are two ways of doing it, one is right click the image or file you want to save, and the other is click the save all box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 09.25.33.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 09.25.33.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 09.35.16.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 09.35.16.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running 10.8.1 and Mail 6.0. I can save it from Mail to the Downloads if I right click on the attachment and then click save to Downloads folder. But if I open the attachment and then try to save it, it saves into the other folder.

Reaction score
But if I open the attachment and then try to save it, it saves into the other folder.
IF I get sent an image in an email and open it, it will open in Preview then I just click save to wherever I want.
if it is a document then it opens in pages or numbers etc and again will save to any destination I choose via the file menu.
So am a little unsure confused why yours immediately goes to a what would appear to be a predefined destination folder, without any input from you.

Reaction score
The Library Folder is a cache, a place Mail uses to save the attachment while you decide where to save it. Mail has always saved its attachments in there IF you open them within Mail. It is not guaranteed that the Attachment will be there, only if you open it.

It doesn't Download it to there, it extracts it from the email in to there, if it doesn't need to extract it it doesn't.

Ask a Question