Magic Trackpad... eventual finger drag (resistance)?

Reaction score
I use my middle finger pad primarily, but I've noticed over time it's starting to drag, like I thought maybe surface wear, but I noticed that my index finger slides just fine... however, my ring finger drags! So I don't think it's surface wear, I think it's a difference in skin or oils or sweat on my fingers.

Note that I usually wash my hands before using keyboard mouse because I hate gunking them up with grease or dirt or whatever was on my hands before.

Can you recommend mitigations to this? I feel like I need to put talcum powder or something else (workout powder? like I see people do sometimes at the gym) on my fingers or the trackpad to get it to stay consistently smooth... I haven't used trackpads for long but I'm just really noticing the inconsistent drag now.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, sounds like your fingers have different oil/moisture levels and/or skin consistencies. You could try some powder, but make sure you don't over do it, as some could get under the trackpad itself and possibly cause issue. Also, a regular cleaning of the trackpad surface may help.

C

Reaction score
It actually starts/stops happens randomly, and with random fingers, so it's probably oils. It'd be nice to know the materials on the trackpad face though; I've heard of oleophobic coating on peripheral surfaces that get worn, or chemically react with the air over time to cause odd responsiveness. I don't know where to look up what's on the surface, or if there's something I can buy and apply to improve it.

Something being under the trackpad doesn't make sense with finger drag; that would only apply to pressing down to "click", which is not what I'm having a problem with.

I've tried cleaning the surface to random results.

Ask a Question