Magic Keyboard & Magic Mouse will not charge

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am an apple user of 10+ years, with a new iMac from the start of this year (Big Sur 11.2). It came with a Magic Keyboard 2 and a Magic Mouse 2. Everything seemed fine until they needed charging, and then I found out they would not take charge.

They won't charge from other computers (another iMac running High Sierra which I tested them on) or from USB chargers on a mains socket.

I've tried every way conceivable to me and apple whom I contacted (restarting devices and the iMac, resetting the SMC & NVRAM, unpairing/repairing devices, reinstalling the OS) to no avail.

Apple and I are nonplussed, I've exchanged the keyboard for a replacement twice, the mouse for a replacement once, I've been sent another lightning cable but nothing works.

The fault most probably isn't the iMac as the USB ports function for other purposes, and the keyboard and mouse don't even charge from the mains. However I can't believe so many apple products could be faulty.

I know this is unlikely but if anyone out there has a clue what could be wrong it would be most appreciated!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Strange issue indeed, especially since you have exchanged them and the issue persists.

Honestly, I would try with a brand new Apple (not third-party) AC power adapter and Lightning to USB cable. That is how I charge mine and that eliminates any issues with the Macs.

C

Ask a Question