Macmail problems

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Since I up-graded my iMac to OSX.8.5 Mountain Lion I've been having problems with my outgoing mail going "Offline " I read that if you go into Keychain, delete the offending item, then re-enter the smtp address in the mail preferences window this should cure it.
Well. in a way it does, but only for a short period, whereupon the mail reverts to "Offline " again ! I can receive mail, but the smtp address keeps playing up.
I wondered if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, is there a way to fix this ? Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Patemm.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-Who is your email provider?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of all of your data/files?
-Do you have any emails stored on your Mac in the Mail app, or are they stored on the email provider's server? You can tell if you login to your account in a web browser and can see all your folders/saved emails.

C

Reaction score
I have Time Machine back up, and my e-mails are deleted as I read them. I believe they are also stored on my Orange ? EE account, but trying to access them by their crap website is almost impossible !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...good you have a backup.

Since you delete them as you read them, and if you don't have any you need to save, then I would suggest deleting the account totally from the Mail app and then re-add it. After deleting it, I would delete all references to it in Keychain Access as well, before adding it back. That should solve the issue.

C

Reaction score
I've already tried that, and it worked fine for a couple of days, and then when checking the account info again the smtp address had changed itself to "Offline " again !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Do you have any other email addresses that don't have the issue? If not, create a free Gmail account and see if it exhibits the same issue. If not, then it is definitely an issue with Orange.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, Cory, but I think I might change my ISP anyway, so maybe that will cure any future problems :)

Ask a Question