MacMail “This Message has no content.” how to retrieve Emails?

Reaction score
Hi there, I just opened up Mail and discovered to my horror that in one of my Mailboxes all (bar the last month) Emails stored in this specific mail box have the following message affixed to them:

“This Message has no content.”

This problem is only evident one of my multitude of Mailboxes (circa 15). This problematic mailbox is always ‘fed’ by ‘rules’, which direct certain emails there. The Inbox-Mailbox is just fine. I always diligently have Time Machine running at least once a day (more like 5 times a day.), but also to my horror, see that all of those emails in question are not listed in the Time Machine view of (Mac)Mail. What can i do to retrieve my messages?

Many thanks for your time,

Peter Land

OS 10.11.3
Mac Pro Early 2008
Mac Mail 9.2 (3112)

ps.

perhaps also of relevance:

for the problematic Mailbox there is an ‘in’ and an ‘out’ folder both stored in one ‘parent’ folder. I doubt this is relevant, but the parent folder is called “zeitKlang”; the folders within this parent folder are called “zeitKlang In” and “zeitKlang Out”

The ’In’ folder simply lists ‘this message has no contents’ within the preview. If i double click on the message, it opens up a window with the subject heading present but the email content absent.

For the ‘Out’ folder i can ‘preview’ each message - ie. i can see the first couple of lines of the email contents. But, when i open up the emails in this ‘Out-box’, i also have no content here. (as is also the case with the ’In’ folder, this problem is not present for the last month of correspondence, only the emails older than circa one month).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am using GMX mail - ‘Account Type’ listed in the Mail program is ‘POP’.

(According to wikipedia: "Users may access GMX Mail via webmail as well as via POP3 and IMAP4 protocols.") So perhaps i could change the protocol. Would this help at all? I've never had this problem before (that i can remember). I've been using Mail for many years now..

Reaction score
I don't use Mail, preferring to use Outlook instead. Outlook maintains a database of all my EMail "stuff", and there are ways of rebuilding that file to fix most issues (Luckily I've never had any). Not sure if Apple's Mail program has any kind of similar functionality.

Reaction score
Hi there, I just opened up Mail and discovered to my horror that in one of my Mailboxes all (bar the last month) Emails stored in this specific mail box have the following message affixed to them:

“This Message has no content.”

This problem is only evident one of my multitude of Mailboxes (circa 15). This problematic mailbox is always ‘fed’ by ‘rules’, which direct certain emails there. The Inbox-Mailbox is just fine. I always diligently have Time Machine running at least once a day (more like 5 times a day.), but also to my horror, see that all of those emails in question are not listed in the Time Machine view of (Mac)Mail. What can i do to retrieve my messages?

Many thanks for your time,

Peter Land

OS 10.11.3
Mac Pro Early 2008
Mac Mail 9.2 (3112)

ps.

perhaps also of relevance:

for the problematic Mailbox there is an ‘in’ and an ‘out’ folder both stored in one ‘parent’ folder. I doubt this is relevant, but the parent folder is called “zeitKlang”; the folders within this parent folder are called “zeitKlang In” and “zeitKlang Out”

The ’In’ folder simply lists ‘this message has no contents’ within the preview. If i double click on the message, it opens up a window with the subject heading present but the email content absent.

For the ‘Out’ folder i can ‘preview’ each message - ie. i can see the first couple of lines of the email contents. But, when i open up the emails in this ‘Out-box’, i also have no content here. (as is also the case with the ’In’ folder, this problem is not present for the last month of correspondence, only the emails older than circa one month).
Hello paterspiano,

I too had problems with "Mail" received emails (in 'In box') showing "This message has no content" but with the subject header only showing when double clicked to open. This OSX El Capitan malfunction, together with other El Capitan (stupid name) incompatibility issues forced me to reinstall OSX 10.11.3.

As I knew the "Mail" messages were incorrect, I set up a bookmark in Safari (under "Favourites") to my ISP's webmail In box. There I could read and respond to any emails requiring attention. I could not however copy those emails into "Mail" (opened in background." I hope this may help.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Ask a Question