Macbook won't stay in sleep mode or powered off

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2007 Macbook running OSX 10.6.3, which is displaying the following symptoms:

• Automatically re-awakens from sleep after 3-4 seconds (lid open or shut, running from battery or mains)
  • Won't stay turned off for more than 3-4 seconds - automatically powers back up (unless mains cable removed, although battery is charged)
  • USB ports not charging devices

I have tried the following cures, per advice from various articles, all to no effect:

• Reset the SMC
  • Cleared print queues, deleted all printers from "Printers & Faxes"
  • Deleted com.apple.PowerManagement.plist & com.apple.AutoWake.plist from harddrive/library/preferences/systemconfig.
  • Rebooted & tested in safe mode
  • Disconnected Wi-Fi & all external devices
  • Unchecked "Wake for ethernet network access" in Energy Saver
  • Repaired disk permissions
  • Run a scan with CamXav and deleted infected files

If anyone has anything further I can try before I take this somewhere for costly repairs, I'd be most grateful - thanks!

Simon

Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of points

1) Check the Console to see if there is not a process which keeps your Mac busy, thus not allowing it to sleep. Maybe old program which you have deleted from the Macbook.
2) If you have internet sharing switched on turn it off.
3) There were major sleep issues with the utility Little Snitch some time ago, but I thought there were sorted.

Reaction score
USB not charging sounds like a hardware problem to me.
The problems may not be related...

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, sorry for my delayed response. I did consider the problems may not be related Kaveman, was just hoping they were for simplicity's sake.

oldscribe - checked, and internet sharing is off, and I don't have Little Snitch. I've opened Console although I don't really know what I'm looking for - the last stuff in it is from April. Should there be more recent stuff in it?

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry of my late reply but have been away.

Only thing I can think of is your energy saver setting may be wrong. Go to system preference > energy saver and make sure the box marked put hard disks to sleep when possible is checked under both the Battery and Power Adapter headings.

Ask a Question