MacBook won't completely boot up.

Reaction score
After watching a movie on an unlabeled DVD my Macbook has hung up. The attached picture shows the extent of the boot up process. There are some "interlace" red lines in the display (kind of hard to see in the fuzzy pic). I've disconnected all devices from it and tried....
1)"D" hardware test: returns no errors
2) Resetting SMC by unplugging battery and pressing the power button for 5 seconds or so.
3) Booting into "safe" mode. It doesn't go to safe mode.
4) Reset the Mac PRAM/NVRAM. Those combinations of keys just keeps cycling power/power tone.
5) rebooted in recovery mode, ctl R. goes to same place as pic.

Any other options left to me? Thanks.

Attachments

• MacBook2.jpg
    MacBook2.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
What model/year is your MacBook, what version of macOS, and do you have a Time Machine backup or a clone of the startup drive?

Reaction score
early 2011 15" MB pro. OS 10.11.6. I don't use it except for streaming and maybe checking email so I have all I need in iCloud as far as backup goes. I actually have a "duplicate" machine that I'm using in it's place right now.

Reaction score
For your info, your model identifier is MacBookPro8,2. Your best bet, I think, is downloading the El Capitan installer if you are unable to reboot the MBP into Recovery (cmd-R). Fortunately, you have your second Mac to download the installer.

Try this Apple Support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Reaction score
I have a MacBookPro model A1278 Part Number MC374X/A on which I had to restore from Time Machine (El Capitan) due to a failure to reboot. The failure also prevented reinstall of the OS either from online or Time Machine and I could not make a bootable usb using transmac on a windows machine. This is running slow so would an upgrade to Sierra help and is it easy to upgrade memory to 8G?
Thank you..

Ask a Question