SOLVED MacBook Purchase for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom

Reaction score
I'm a retired pro photographer and would like some advice on purchasing a MacBook Pro. What do I need in terms of M1, M2, M3 chips, as well as GPU and CPU specs to run the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic with the new AI functions? I'm trying to balance price and performance. Lowest price for the best performance.

Reaction score
If I were to buy a MacBook pro for PhotoShop and Lightroom, I would most likely buy an M3 Max with 64GB or more of RAM and 1 or 2 TB of storage.

The reason for going with the M3 Max is that it will most likely give you a longer period before you will feel that you need to upgrade your Mac.

The 64GB is from experience on a M1Max with 32GB of RAM running an external display. Only having 32 GB the machine felt a little sluggish compared to a friend' M1 Max that had the same configuration, but with 64GB of RAM.

As far as storage goes, you may be able to get away with only 1TB. You can always get external storage for files that you don't neccessarily need to keep on your internal SSD. High speed storage is fairly cheap and can be added as needed.

Ask a Question