Loading a macbook after purchase

Reaction score
Hi Guys and gals thanks for letting me join
The pronlem i have is that i bought a macbook 2016 from an auction of bankrupted stock the macbook has been cleaned however when i load up with OS catalina it always comes to a page asking me to put login details for a remote management until then i cannot load the Os is this normal as im new to macbooks and is there a way around this
Thanks for any help in this matter

Reaction score
Hi Milly72,

Could you explain what you mean by "remote management"? Also, where are you getting the Catalina Installer file from? And even more basic, how are you trying to install Catalina, ie, what steps are you taking?

Reaction score
Hi i bought Catalina from a seller on ebay and its loading fine by usb
When the Os is loading for first time i get to a page with remote management asking for login details

Reaction score
I wonder how "clean" the internal device on the machine is. It sounds like there is still User/Admin account "credentials" on that device, and hence the need for a password. Still don't understand what remote management means.

How are you starting up the machine? Please describe as detailed as possible the process you are going through.

Also, when you say Catalina is "loading fine", do you mean at the beginning of the installation of Catalina from the USB device? Or does it complete the installation, but then asks for the login details?

Reaction score
This is the page

Attachments

• 6KC6g.jpg
    6KC6g.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Is that the first screen you see when you start up the machine?

Hmm, it seems the machine/device was named IBM by the prior owner, and given what that screen says (I have never seen it before), the machine still has IBM's credentials on it.

Also, how then do you try and load Catalina?

Sorry to ask all these questions, but this is a strange one. I am wondering if you can boot the machine to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition (assuming it's still there)l, and proceed from there?

Reaction score
I just did a google search of "Where does Remote Management come from on a Mac?", and here are all the "hits" I got:

www.google.com/search?q=Where+does+Remote+Management+come+from+on+a+Mac%3F&oq=Where+does+Remote+Management+come+from+on+a+Mac%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.13743j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And this one in particular has some detailed information:

Reaction score
No its not the first i turn on mac and then click on load catalina the progress bar moves along then it asks me to connect to internet to continue then that is the screen that comes up

Reaction score
I just did a google search of "Where does Remote Management come from on a Mac?", and here are all the "hits" I got:

www.google.com/search?q=Where+does+Remote+Management+come+from+on+a+Mac%3F&oq=Where+does+Remote+Management+come+from+on+a+Mac%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.13743j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And this one in particular has some detailed information:

Yeah ive googled that but that is when your mac has loaded the OS this is during the set up

Reaction score
Is that the first screen you see when you start up the machine?

Hmm, it seems the machine/device was named IBM by the prior owner, and given what that screen says (I have never seen it before), the machine still has IBM's credentials on it.

Also, how then do you try and load Catalina?

Sorry to ask all these questions, but this is a strange one. I am wondering if you can boot the machine to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition (assuming it's still there)l, and proceed from there?
Hidden recovery??

Reaction score
In looking at that second link above, even using the "hidden" Recovery HD partition will not do the trick.

If the USB stick you purchased with Catalina can boot up your Mac, then that last part of that link might work, ie, right after where it says "This process worked to get a 2018 mac from eBay working with fresh install Catalina.".

So, it seems the main question is, what exactly is on that USB stick? If it can boot your Mac up, then it has already been created, starting with the Catalina Installer, with Diskmaker X (or something similar). If not, and it is just the Catalina Installation file, then you would need to use the software DiskMaker X. However, not sure how much you can do with your machine in its current state.

Reaction score
Ok il just continue with set up was worried that it might get compromised but a mate said you can change those settings in remote management in apple menu

Reaction score
If you are able to install Catalina, it will create a (hidden) Recovery HD partition. That being the case, note the 10th step that says:

"When it tries to setup, don't do anything. Just shut down and reboot again to recovery mode using Command + R keys just when u see the Mac apple."

Reaction score
Regarding that Remote Management "business", note that in that link, one person stated:

"I was able to bypass this on my 2018 Mac Book Pro. I installed the OS using an internet connection. When I got to the "remote management" screen, I restarted. When it asked me to choose my network, I selected "other options" and selected "no internet". I was then able to complete the setup and connect to the internet normally afterward. I did a hard reboot and am still able to login and connect to the internet fine"

Maybe those steps (after the part about the internet connection) can be followed.

Hopefully all this will work for you. If it does, I would strongly suggest you then start doing backups to an external device, along with doing frequent disk cleanup (some on your own), disk maintenance, and disk repairs. Beyond doing some disk cleanup on your own, there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

So, keeping fingers crossed and hopefully you'll have success, you should then start another thread and ask how to do the things I mentioned.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I doubt you can bypass that, as that Mac was property of IBM at some point, and is still tied to their Mobile Device Management (MDM) system. Even if you erase it by any means, when you go through setup, it contacts Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) to determine if it is owned by an individual or a corporation/educational institution. If it is, it passes the setup on to their MDM, which will configure it for use in their environment. MDMs are used by companies/schools to set specific security, restriction, and configuration policies, including those intended to "brick" them in case of theft or loss.

Depending on who the previous "owner" was and who you purchased it from, you would need to contact them or IBM to have it released from their MDM.

C

Reaction score
Well, if Cory is correct (even though via that link I provided some folks supposedly "got around" it), you might be out of luck. Even if you can get IBM to agree to do that, I suspect they will charge you for that.

Reaction score
UPDATE
When i get to the remote management page it allows me to create a username and password and then continues to a normal working macbook
What concerns me is that by doing this someone else could be watching my activity or wouldnt that be the case? Not good with computers

Reaction score
UPDATE "
done at last i did a fresh install of the OS and didnt connect to internet at start and once the os had installed the remote management page didnt come up

Ask a Question