Data Recovery on MacBook that keeps freezing

Reaction score
I have an A1398. While it was running updates something got corrupted and it wouldn't let me log in. I did a Time Machine backup from November 1st and now I can log in, but about 30 seconds after logging it everything freezes and I cant do anything. I am looking to recover the data and wipe the computer so I can install a fresh OS on it. I have tired:

Diskdrill from terminal and on another Mac running Diskdrill using a thunderbolt 2 cable and Diskdrill don't see it
I tried reinstalling the OS but it fails saying "an error occurred while preparing the installation"
First aid didn't help
I removed the m.2 drive but determined my m.2 reader needs an adapter so I am waiting for that part to see if that'll work

Is there anything else I can do to recover the data and then get a clean install on this computer?

Reaction score
I have an A1398. While it was running updates something got corrupted and it wouldn't let me log in. I did a Time Machine backup from November 1st and now I can log in, but about 30 seconds after logging it everything freezes and I cant do anything. I am looking to recover the data and wipe the computer so I can install a fresh OS on it. I have tired:

Diskdrill from terminal and on another Mac running Diskdrill using a thunderbolt 2 cable and Diskdrill don't see it
I tried reinstalling the OS but it fails saying "an error occurred while preparing the installation"
First aid didn't help
I removed the m.2 drive but determined my m.2 reader needs an adapter so I am waiting for that part to see if that'll work

Is there anything else I can do to recover the data and then get a clean install on this computer?
The A1398 MBP ranges from the mid 2012 to the mid 2015 models. It will help if you can determine the actual model year. Anyway, the 2012 can run up to Catalina while the 2015 up to Monterey. When you said you were running updates, was this macOS updates? When you did the Time Machine backup, how was this done—from your Mac to a connected external drive? Is the information on that Time Machine drive still viable?

Without knowing the exact details, at this point, I can suggest trying to restart in Safe Mode and see if it will behave any better. If not, try restarting into Recovery and, based on your confidence in your Time Machine backup, you can erase the drive and reinstall macOS through Recovery (you need an internet connection here). After a hopefully successful macOS installation, you can migrate your data from the Time Machine drive.

I’m not familiar with Diskdrill so I can’t comment about it. If you need to create a good backup of your data, I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
I agree, and also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. It's extremely intuitive. Moreso, I think, than Time Machine.

Reaction score
I agree, and also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. It's extremely intuitive. Moreso, I think, than Time Machine.
CCC was not a favorite for a while since they did not create bootable clones of the system drives. They are more favored now that they have provided an option to make bootable clones. I refuse to use this feature because their original goal was to crate accurate clones of the data partition without copying the damaged files in the system partition. The procedure is: delete/format the drive, do a reinstall of macOS, and afterwards, when the installer prompts to, select the cloned copy as your source for migration. Beautiful!

I maintain paid licenses of other cloning apps: SuperDuper, Chronosync, FoldersSynchronizer. They each have their advantages. But for regular backups, I still use CCC, and Time Machine at the same time. You can’t be too careful with your data.

Reaction score
Well, Migration Assistant's prompts are very confusing to me. It's hard to describe what I mean by that, but it's ambiguous to me whether it's talking about transferring to preserve existing data or to replace existing data. I have to do research each time, which may be a 'me' problem. lol.

Reaction score
Well, Migration Assistant's prompts are very confusing to me. It's hard to describe what I mean by that, but it's ambiguous to me whether it's talking about transferring to preserve existing data or to replace existing data. I have to do research each time, which may be a 'me' problem. lol.
If you erased your main drive and reinstalled macOS using Recovery or a bootable system installer, you will end up with just the system partition loaded with the complete macOS without users. In this case, migration assistant will automatically launch and ask for the source of your data. Select either the CCC clone (data only) or a Time Machine drive. It will then come up with a listt of items to migrate.

User(s), Applications, and other data contained in the backup drive. You have the choice to select the ones you wish to restore, and Migration Assistant will do its thing until the restore is complete.

You also have the option to NOT migrate any data. Instead, you will need to log into your Apple ID, and then start setting up your User account for the new “drive.” This is the best option if you suspect that you have a lot of “bad” files (extensions, settings, etc.) in your previous installation. This provides you with a fresh start.

I have done this a number of times, mostly when I have to downgrade a version of macOS that has gone awry. (Some of those beta versions do tend to go bad, but at times I can’t help but trust that the beta version would be “nice.”) Especially when I know how to go about it, from sheer practice.;)

Reaction score
I have seen freezing issues with many Mac users, is it before or after the Sonoma update for your system?
Have you tried Stellar Data Recovery Mac to recover your data? Disk drill is also a good option in your case, just a little costly.

Ask a Question