Data recovery from MacBook Pro 2008

Reaction score
I need to recover data from a MacBook Pro. My laptop shows a message:
'no bootable device-- please insert boot disk and press any key'
I was told I really messed up and it's probably impossible to fix the MacBook, it's not responding to anything. I was trying to back up to a seagate drive and in order to do that, tried converting to ntfs; something went wrong.
However, I need data which is on it. Can anyone help recover it? What do I do? Can anyone please help? Is it worth trying to takethe hard drive out and connecting it to another mac through SATA cable? Is there a software which could help recover data from that drive? Thank you in advance for all your advice and help.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it.
I've got another mac, that's not a problem. However, to put the mac into target disk mode, I need to access to the broken mac as well, whereas it is not responding to anything. It's black screen with a message on top(almost like it's in ms-dos mode or something;-)) I'm sorry, any other ideas?

Reaction score
Can the HD in the MacBook pro be taken out? if so you could use a HD enclosure to attach to the another computer via USB.

Reaction score
It should just appear as another drive on the computer, and will only be accessed when you select it.

I have a couple of SATA docking stations on my iMac and regularly drop drives in from other machines in order to check them out, never had a problem.

Reaction score
Even though I don't know what happened to the hard drive before mac stopped responding? is it possible the harddrive would still have all files on it? Even with mac displaying that message?

Reaction score
Most probably your hard drive have files because it isn't deleted or formatted. All you need is to reach somehow to your drive and pull back files. But to do that you must first mount it either using Target Disk Mode or Converting SATA to external drive.

Ask a Question