Macbook Pro - three beeps but all else is fine

Kas

Reaction score
From what I'm seeing it has something to do with RAM issues--my problem is that it's functioning normally. Still, the beeps have kept up for weeks, randomly from time to time in a series of three beeps, consecutively. No freezing or troubles with turning on, it all seems normal.

So, is it only a matter of time until something goes wrong?

Reaction score
You need to let us know the following:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can assist you in those efforts. Along with that, how much free space is on your internal drive?

4. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

This link has some suggestions for checking out the RAM inside your Mac, but the first thing it mentions (as a warning sign of bad RAM) is the scenario you are encountering, the 3 beeps.

If you provide your exact Mac model, we can point you to a site that shows how to replace it yourself, assuming it can be serviced. That will depend on the Mac model you have.

Kas

Reaction score
Model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Software: OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)

Okay, bear with me here--I'm a bit illiterate when it comes to this. It looks like my storage is 448.63 GB free out of 499.25 GB.

I'm not making any backups to an external device. The only thing that has changed at all is that my hard drive crashed and had to be replaced about six months ago. No software changes.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that information.

It would be prudent if you start doing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective, and also make backups. While those tasks don't have very much to do with the Ram inside your Mac, if you want to keep your machine "lean, mean, and clean", it would be best.

Oops! I forgot to include the link regarding how to check out your Ram:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-test-for-bad-or-faulty-ram-on-mac-3640485/

As I already mentioned, though, the first thing it mentions (as a warning sign of bad RAM) is the scenario you are encountering, the 3 beeps. I guess you could first try some of those suggestions.

In any event, it looks like that you can replace the Ram yourself:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+RAM+Replacement/10374

Also, if you decide to do it, OWC is a good place to purchase the RAM. Back in early December, I bought 8 gig of Ram for them for my late 2012 Mac Mini (they had a very good price), and it works fine.

Kas

Reaction score
I'll definitely start doing that and will test the ram with the link. Thanks so much!

Ask a Question