SOLVED MacBook Pro.... TechTool Pro 12 questions with just (1) HD

Reaction score
Hey you guys.... Working on my MacBook Pro..... I just installed Catalina and I want to run "File Optimization" and "Volume Optimization" with my TechTool Pro 12. I do this on my other 2 MacPro Towers by running it from different Hard Drives with no problems.

But now I want to run TechTool Pro 12 ("File Optimization" and "Volume Optimization") on my MacBook Pro. However, this laptop only has a "Single 500 GB Hard Drive.

Can you explain what I have to do to make this happen?

Attached are 2 images for you to look at....

Thank you!
Reesche

Attachments

• TechTool Pro 12 1.png
    TechTool Pro 12 1.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 74
  • TechTool Pro 12 2.png
    TechTool Pro 12 2.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hey Cory..... I thought when I installed TTP on that drive it said I need to create something to run it from since there is only one drive... Any Ideas?

reesche

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I believe that is eDrive or Protogo. But, I believe it should run from within the app. Unfortunately, I don't think those two tools will work per the linked documentation.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory...... I wrote Micromat ... This is what they said..... FYI... Sounds like I do not want to do anything now.

Sounds like I do not want to do anything now.

Thanks for the email. With the implementation of the newer operating system, the internal drive was converted to APFS. The current documentation from Apple on APFS does not include sufficient information to write a tool to defragment APFS volumes. Once Apple releases additional documentation that provides sufficient information for manipulating the data directly on disk, we will explore whether a defragmentation feature is feasible for *rotational* APFS drives. Additionally, when running a Volume Rebuild on APFS formatted volume, a full directory optimization is not yet available. However, directory errors can be repaired. With drive formatted HFS+, full directory optimization is still available.

With that said, all other features should remain applicable for APFS formatted drives.

Thanks for your direction Cory!

Reesche

Ask a Question