SOLVED maximum memory speed for MacBook Pro 17 2010

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the maximum speed of DDR3 ram that a MacBook Pro 17 from 2010 can use? I looked at the technical specifications on Apple's site but it didn't give me any other info other than a speed of 1066 mhz. I don't want to buy ram that is 1300 MHz or better only to get a sound notification on restart that it can't handle it. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Officially supports up to 8 GB (2x4 GB)

204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM is what you should buy. Faster RAM won't give you any benefit, and if it is not PC3-8500 it will not work.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I had been sent an ad thru Ebay about ram for my MacBook but didn't want to purchase it if it wouldn't really work. On a personal not to you, I eventually downloaded a copy of Parallels version 16 which allows me to use Windows 10 and a specific app for Barnes & Noble the Nook app. I can highly recommend it to anyone who has a specific need.

Ask a Question