SOLVED How to operate with 256 GB SSD of memory

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new 21.5 iMac which has 256 GB SSD memory in place of 1TB of Fusion Drive on my old iMac. Grateful for tips from other users who have dealt with this large reduction in memory.
I use my iMac mainly for processing pictures on Lightroom and Photoshop.

Reaction score
My MBP had a small SSD drive, I kept all my data, photos etc on external SSDs and that worked well.

Reaction score
I note you say information kept on external SSDs does that mean that you transfer info over to 2 or more external HDs. This would get over the problem that the Mac will only automatically back up the information transferred to internal Hard Drive. If you do transfer to more than 1 external HD do you transfer separately to each HD.
The issue regarding external HD is that you do not have a back up.
I am grateful of your help. Many thanks

Reaction score
I had a couple of SATA 3 Dual drive docks, and separate drives for different data i.e. Photos, Code, General stuff. For backup I cloned the drives regularly with SuperDuper.

Reaction score
Kudos for SuperDuper!. Excellent backup/cloning program. I would not be without it!

I also keep a number of files on a partition of two of my external SSDs (along with partitions for SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs). For both of my Macs (a late 2018 Mac Mini with a 256 gig SSD, and an early 2017 Mac Book Air with a 252 gig SSD), I am only using about 35% or so of the available space. It's always wise to have as much free space as possible.

Reaction score
I never go over 100 GB on the main SSD or HDD. I like yourself are using a 256 GB SSD but I have an external drive box that will hold 6 x 12 TB yes that is 72 Terra Bytes

Ask a Question