MacBook Pro Pricing : Will 2016 be dead?

Reaction score
Hey there! How are you? A long time PC user here. Finally giving up and looking for a MacBook Pro. Read the 2017 models are coming up at the end of this year.

Current pricing for 15-inch (stock configurations) :
2016 : 2399$
2015 : 1999$

The question is,

Future pricing for 15-inch (stock configurations) :

2017 : 2399$
2016 : 1999$

<<(OR)>>

(Apple removes 2016 edition as it was the case in previous years where incremental updates didn’t coexist. Example: 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro sold even at 2015 instead of 2014, CMIW)

2015 : ????$

Thank you

Reaction score
I don't understand your question honestly, but I can suggest a question in return. What do you want to do with your Mac? I would define that as clearly as you can, and then try to identify the Mac model that will do what you need to do at the lowest price. There may be no need to spend $2000+.

Reaction score
I don't understand your question honestly, but I can suggest a question in return. What do you want to do with your Mac? I would define that as clearly as you can, and then try to identify the Mac model that will do what you need to do at the lowest price. There may be no need to spend $2000+.
Hi Ormond. See the pricing pattern currently for the new (2016) and old (2015) Mac as mentioned,

Current pricing for 15-inch (stock configurations) :
2016 : 2399$
2015 : 1999$

basically 400$ less for the old one, right?

My question is whether the pricing pattern is gonna be same in the case of 2017 & 2016 as below?

2016 : 1999$

OR Will Apple remove 2016 edition as it was the case in previous years where incremental updates didn’t coexist? Example: 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro sold even at 2015 instead of 2014, CMIW

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question.

I do get that you're naturally concerned about price as we all are. I was attempting to address that from another angle. Which ever of the models above you select, it appears you'd be spending $2000+ which is kind of a lot of money, at least for many of us. I was wondering if you really need a brand new high end Mac to do whatever it is you wish to do. I have no idea obviously, given that I know nothing about your situation.

As example, I see new Macbook Air laptops (13inch) on the Apple site for half of what you're considering spending. This may raise the question, what exactly would you be getting for spending twice as much? Is whatever that is worth $1000 to you? It may be course, again, I'm not in a position to know.

I've been working for years on an old Macbook that's currently worth maybe $300. It does over 90% of what my wife and I need to do. This is probably not a choice that would interest you, but it does illustrate that dramatic savings are available in some situations for some people.

If all of this is irrelevant to your situation, please pardon and ignore. And good luck with your purchase, whatever it turns out to be.

Reaction score
The 2012 MBP was a special case. It is often referred to as the "cMBP", or "classic MBP". Because it was the last MBP model that was both fully user upgradable (ram and HDD/SSD) and retained the built in SuperDrive.

The demand for these systems was intense and long-standing...which is why Apple sold them for so long.

It is the exception. Not the rule.

Reaction score
Hi ge.caroline,

To expand upon what was stated above, I have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, with 4 gig of Ram and a 252 gig SSD, and it easily satisfies my needs. Of course, I spend almost all of my time checking EMails, and browsing the net. But, I have previously used the machine to develop, and work with, Excel spreadsheets, and it performs very well.

Right now, Best Buy has a later (and somewhat better) model of the same machine I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...-flash-storage-silver/6444006.p?skuId=6444006

That machine has 8 gig of RAM, double what I have.

Now, if screen "real estate" is what you need, then a 15" model is the way to go.

Also, just because the machine will be "removed" by Apple does not mean it is no longer functional. Apple recently dropped the 11.6" MacBook Air from their lineup, but it still can be used effectively (depending on one's needs).

Last edited:

Ask a Question