Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Boot problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro MId2012 that failled to boot, and came up with a grey screen with a ? in file icon .

On booting in internet recovery mode ( Cmd R ), and entering disk utility I could only see
1) Superdrive - DVD drive
2) disk 0 > Mac OSX Base System - a 1.19GB partition

and no 500 GB hard drive !

I decided to buy a new Crucial SSD, and fitted , and again on internet recovery cannot see the new SSD , with just as before i.e
1) Superdrive - DVD drive
2) disk 0 > Mac OSX Base System - a 1.19GB partition

and no SSD drive to partition, so that i can reinstall OS X.

Is this disk 0 1.19 GB partition on the SSD or is it memory ?

Have I got a controller or cable failure ?

Help appreciated ?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The grey screen with ? folder means it couldn't find any bootable OS on your system drive.

It does sound like it could be a HD cable failure, since you can't see either HD when they are installed/connected. I have seen that happen randomly and totally out of the blue. Your original HD may still be functional.

-Have you tried resetting PRAM and SMC? Probably won't help, but it's worth a try.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest having is checked at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

C

Reaction score
The problem turned out to be problems/failure with the hard disc cable which is very common failure.

All apple diagnostics passed.
I managed swap my drive into another mac, and it booted ok , but for those without another mac, can trying connecting the disc via a USB/Sata cable, and successfully booted

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad it's sorted and thanks for posting the solution for possible reference in the future.

C

Ask a Question