SOLVED Macbook Pro kernel panic

Reaction score
I have a 2011(?) Mac book pro which was dual booted with Linux. The Linux was then upgraded which seems to have overwritten something which prevents the mac OS loading. I have an original snow leopard installation disk. I booted from the Install disc by holding “c” with the Install DVD inserted and did a disc repair on the MAC OX partition and also repaired the permissions which was all good except for the warning:

Warning SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

When I try to boot to OSX from the Grub boot menu I get a kernel panic with the following message:

pmap_map_bd: invalid kernel address – then long file address

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this without losing the originl mac install – I don’t care about the Linux partition.

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The ARDAgent error is simply because the version currently installed is new than the version of Disk Utility that is repairing perssions "knows" about.

pmap_map_bd: invalid kernel address - I believe that is an EFI issue.

It sounds like the Linux update may have updated the GRUB files, causing the kernel panic. I don't have any experience with GRUB or dual-booting a Mac with Linux or and third-party EFI managers like GRUB/rEFIt, etc.

Maybe someone in a forum with more experience with GRUB and dual-boot Linux could shed some light.

Let us know if you find a soliution.

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your input - I'll try going through a Linux forum and post here if I get a solution

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The ARDAgent error is simply because the version currently installed is new than the version of Disk Utility that is repairing perssions "knows" about.

It sounds like the Linux update may have updated the GRUB files, causing the kernel panic. I don't have any experience with GRUB or dual-booting a Mac with Linux or and third-party EFI managers like GRUB/rEFIt, etc.

Maybe someone in a forum with more experience with GRUB and dual-boot Linux could shed some light.

C
Thanks very much for your input - I'll try going through a Linux forum and post here if I get a solution

Reaction score
Solved, but I can't logically explain why. Ever since this machine was dual booted a rather broken looking grub command line boot menu came up, but succeeded in booting to either OS. I found a site that suggested some command line possibilities and tried them but with no success, but when I typed exit to get out of the command line, it gave me the proper GUI dual boot interface and I was able to boot into 10.7.5 and now it displays the GUI interface each time and all is well.
Baffled but happy.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad to hear it's working normally for you. And, thanks for posting the solution.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

C
Hello and welcome.

C
Thanks Cory. I have he same problem, only 2 years later.

Ask a Question